Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drop bed on crown graphic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
campy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to large format and am interested in how to increase depth of field
by using drop bed. After dropping bed do I tilt lens back and forth to find my focus point? Do I focus at the closest spot or the furthest away? How much of an increase should I expect? Also when the bed is down the short focus rail comes out of it's groove and seems to lock up. Is there a certain sequence I should do?
Discpad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/articles/bond-checklist.html
and continue here
http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/

Quote:

On 2003-02-15 10:34, campy wrote:
I am new to large format and am interested in how to increase depth of field
by using drop bed. After dropping bed do I tilt lens back and forth to find my focus point? Do I focus at the closest spot or the furthest away? How much of an increase should I expect? Also when the bed is down the short focus rail comes out of it's groove and seems to lock up. Is there a certain sequence I should do?

[ This Message was edited by: Discpad on 2003-02-15 12:03 ]
Discpad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, click here for "View Camera Focus and Depth of Field — Part I by Harold M. Merklinger"
[http://users.snip.net/~joe/Focus_tilt_&_swing-VCFaDOF1.pdf]
FrankS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy,

I'm new to LF too and I went through a similar problem with my Speed Graphic and 135mm lens. To focus on infinity with the bed dropped, the focussing rail hinges were in the way of where the lens standard had to go. This is true for a 135mm lens on a thicker bodied Speed, and (I believe) for a 90mm lens on a thinnner bodied Crown.

To work around that problem, I do this:
1.) open the camera bed
2.) with lens still retracted into body as it is for storage, I rack out the focus so that the rear focus track and the hinge is on the camera bed tracks and totally out of the camera body tracks.
3.) unlatch the lens standard and move it onto the hinge area of the focussing tracks and lock it there
4.) now drop the camera bed
5.) tilt the lens back so it is upright
6.) focus the lens back towards the film plane to get infinity focus
7.) raise the lens so it is centered (dropping the bed lowers the lens, though focussing it back brings it up, depending on how far back you go)
8.) tilt the lens standard forwards about 5 to 10 degrees while looking at the groundglass with lens aperture wide open to assess the focus plane
9.) adjust focus and tilt until desired result is achieved

This works for my 135mm lens on a Speed. A 90mm lens on a Crown has a similar problem, but I don't know first hand if this will work for you. Play around with where you lock the lens standard near the hinge between the front and rear focussing rails. The trick is to release the rear rails from the camera body tracks by racking out the focus before dropping the bed. (at least with my combo) Please let us know if it does or does not work!

campy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will try that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: