Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ciro-flex lenses and accessories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liz Humphrey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ciro-flex Model E with a Wollensak 85 mm lens. I'm interested in finding out about any available accessories -- other lenses (including diopters), filters and filter ring (the lens is 32mm in diameter), lens hood, etc. I understand that a Portralens 2+ and a Telek lens -4 were available at one time. Can anyone help by referring me to a source for information on these things? Thanks very much -- Liz Humphrey
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

Although I don't own a Ciro-flex---wish I did!---my guess is that the 85mm Wollensak (whose outside diameter you say is 32mm) will accept a 31.5mm slip-ring/retaining-ring set for series VI filters. This is what you should look for at camera shows, which I have found is the best place to acquire this old stuff, since nobody is producing it nowadays (though formerly available from Kodak, Tiffen, and Hoya, among others). Anyhow, the 31.5mm (1-1/4") slip-ring is a very common size in series VI, and you should be able to obtain one fairly readily. (Kodak did not list a 32mm slip ring; the next size up was 1-5/16".) And yes, there was a whole slew of series VI filters, lens hoods, and polarizer, including the Portra lenses in +1, +2, and +3 diopters, and the Telek lenses in -1, -2, -3, and -4 diopters. There was also a portrait diffusion "lens" for soft-focus effects. For b/w and color there was a complete line-up of contrast and balancing filters in series VI---in short, most of the same filters that are sold today in the screw-on sizes. Over the course of about five years of pawing through the parts bins at camera shows in the Philadelphia area, I have assembled a fairly complete set of the series VI stuff to use on my Century Graphic 2x3. I don't know that there is any one source for these items today, but for starters you might give Robert Pins a try at 201-784-1444 or 201-767-3619.

A final hint: the series VI thread is 44mm. If you can find, for example, a 44-49 step-ring, you can use 49mm filters directly on the 31.5mm slip-ring. This would spare you the inconvenience of searching for the series filters (although I think it's rather fun to look---thrill of discovery and all that). I have 44-49, 44-52, and 44-55 step-rings; they aren't common, but they DO exist (camera shows!). The 49mm size is better to use than the larger sizes, as it interferes less with accessibility of the settings on the front of the lens. Hope this helps; email me if you have further questions.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-07-22 09:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-07-22 10:38 ]
GregStaab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, Kodak series V&VI holders and filters are readily available on Ebay I've picked up numerous ones there. The portra lens is only usefull if it comes with the info sheet telling you where to set the distance scale at. I do have copies of this and can photocopy it for you should you need it. Origional ciro-flex lens hoods do show up from time to time. The flash guns can rarely be found on Ebay unless there being sold with the camera. The lens adaptor you need is a 31.5 mm This fortunately is one of the more common sizes on ebay. They sell cheaply! Don't pay more than a few dollars unless it has filters with it. I you wait a few days theres always another to bid on.
ragc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post under a similar topic. I describe how to make caps and a shade (lens hood) from hardware items. Plastic leg tips come in 1 1/4" diameter, which is 32mm! That's the basis for all my custom parts!
douggrosjean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW....

Came across a website where they sell step-up rings in various sizes.

Somebody else here posted that the Series VI Kodak filter system has a slip-fit on one end and a 44mm thread on the other. The website below lists step-up rings in 44-46, 48, 49, 52, 54, 55, and 60mm sizes; so that a person can then use / buy modern filters and fit them to the old C/F or Graflex TLRs.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/rings.html

Many other sizes are shown too, but the above are relevant here.

No affiliation, and I haven't ordered one yet - but am about to.

douggrosjean@gmail.com
Various 35mm SLR and P&S cameras,
Kodak Medalist, Rolleicord, and Ciro-Flex,
Burke & James 4x5 Press, and #10 Cirkut
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be able to use "Telek" lenses on your "Ciro-Flex." They extend the focal length of a prime lens, and only work if you can physically increase the distance between the lens and the film plane. They were made for bellows cameras.

In the old days, "afocal" telephoto and wide-angle attachments were made for twin-lens reflex cameras -- as they now are for many digital cameras. Spiratone and Sun were a couple of well-known brands. Each set contained a pair of attachments, one for the taking and one for the viewing lens. Typically, the tele set offered a 1.5X magnification (85mm.=127mm.) and the WA set, 0.7X (85mm.=60mm.) They required no increase in exposure (unlike "Telek" lenses), and quality was indifferent -- better if you stopped down.
keila

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I agree with everything sanford said. I'm no professional but i was advised of the same thing before and it worked for me.

Regards,
Keila
Accessoires téléphones portables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: