Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions - Age, stiff focusing, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discpad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon, gang!

Well, I just made the plunge into large format with a Speed Graphic I picked up on eBay. The serial number is 913224; and the lens is a 135mm Graflex Optar G20474.

Several of my customers (I'm in IT support) shoot large format in the studio, so I'm familiar with how to use a studio camera... But, oh boy is the Speed Graphic different! I shoot the Indy Racing League for RaceFax with my Nikon N6000, Kodak DC4800 and (when I can borrow it) a Fuji FinePix S1 Pro. But, I sure want the quality of large format for art prints and so forth, hence the Speed Graphic... And that brings me here.

First off, about what year was this camera &/or lens built?

Next paragraph moved to new thread

Second, the focusing wheels are very stiff, even with the locking lever loose. It's so stiff, in fact, that I got blisters on my thumbs while aligning the rangefinder (which I learned how to do on this site). How do I lubricate the focusing assembly?

Third, since the camera has a focal plane shutter, I'd like to use my Nikon lenses, since they are both faster and sharper. I can make a new lensboard for a T-mount; but has anyone seen a T-to-Nikon adapter, i.e. the opposite of what one would use to hitch a T-mount lens to a Nikon body?

• Thank you in advance!

• Dan Schwartz

• Cherry Hill, NJ

• [ This Message was edited by: Discpad on 2003-01-26 10:57 ]
    Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-25 13:58, Discpad wrote:
    Good afternoon, gang!

Well, I just made the plunge into large format with a Speed Graphic I picked up on eBay. The serial number is 913224; and the lens is a 135mm Graflex Optar G20474.

Several of my customers (I'm in IT support) shoot large format in the studio, so I'm familiar with how to use a studio camera... But, oh boy is the Speed Graphic different! I shoot the Indy Racing League for RaceFax with my Nikon N6000, Kodak DC4800 and (when I can borrow it) a Fuji FinePix S1 Pro. But, I sure want the quality of large format for art prints and so forth, hence the Speed Graphic... And that brings me here.

First off, about what year was this camera &/or lens built?

Second, the focusing wheels are very stiff, even with the locking lever loose. It's so stiff, in fact, that I got blisters on my thumbs while aligning the rangefinder (which I learned how to do on this site). How do I lubricate the focusing assembly?

Third, since the camera has a focal plane shutter, I'd like to use my Nikon lenses, since they are both faster and sharper. I can make a new lensboard for a T-mount; but has anyone seen a T-to-Nikon adapter, i.e. the opposite of what one would use to hitch a T-mount lens to a Nikon body?

• Thank you in advance!

• Dan Schwartz

• Cherry Hill, NJ

• [ This Message was edited by: Discpad on 2003-01-25 13:59 ]
    Um, Dan, your Nikon lenses won't work very well on your new camera. They won't cover 4x5 at reasonable working distances, and will give poor image quality when normally mounted and used closeup enough to cover.

If you want little circular images (35 mm lenses have to cover 43 mm, and that's all most of them do) in the middle of a 4x5 frame, that's another matter, and have fun. The best way to put y'r Nikon mount lenses on a board is to remove the rear mount from an E-2 ring and attach it to a lensboard.

FWIW, I've just concluded a round of lens tests to decide which lens to use at magnification from 4:1 to 8:1 on my 2x3 Graphics. Did the tests with a Nikon to economise on film. The winner was a reversed 55/2.8 MicroNikkor. Mounting it will require a Nikon BR-2 (male 52 mm filter-to-male Nikon F), a female Nikon F-to-male T (I have it), and a female T-to-male #1 shutter (I have it too).

If you want to use Nikon lenses on y'r Speed Graphic, you can, but not the ones you use on your N6000. Nikon makes very fine LF lenses.

There aren't many fast lenses for 4x5. FWIW, one of my correspondents has told me about shooting with a 6"/2 Taylor Taylor Hobson on a UK equivalent of a 4x5 Graflex. He commented on how large and heavy the lens was, on how unsharp, and on the need for a wheelbarrow to carry the rig any distance. I'm have a 12"/4 TTH lens to try on my 2x3 Speed coming, if it can be mounted at all, and am worried about weight etc. Cheap airmail postage on it is 33 Euros.

Read the lens sections here, slow down a little, learn more about LF gear. Its been claimed that a good shooter with a Speed Graphic and a Grafmatic holder could get off six shots in six seconds. That was way back when, nowadays everyone's slowed down. Slow down a little and enjoy your camera.

Cheers,

Dan
    Discpad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for setting me straight on the lenses...

Now if only I can focus the damn thing without getting blisters...

Dan
    jdman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the stiff focus, the tracks and gears are probably all gunked up with congealed grease and dirt. If you will take the rails off, clean everthing esp. the track and reassemble that should fix your problem. This job is not rocket science, just take your time and do not loose the screws. I put a little lubriplate reel grease in the part of the rails where the tracks run. Another possibility is a bent rack or rail from the camera being dropped, but more than likely a cleaning will do the job. Russ
    45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is the focus lock set screw is too tight. It is in the center of the focus lock post.
    Charles

Gandolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: