Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder masks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Century Graphic has a #2mask which seems to approximate the view of the 105mm lens and either 6x7 or 6x9 filmholders. Is there a table or list (other than the one shown under viewfinders) which cross references the various likely focal lengths for a 2x3 with the various masks? In other words, if a 65mm lens were fitted what mask would be best to use, rangefinder issues aside.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's info from Graflex Form 1804/865, "Rapid-Vance RH/20 Roll Film Holder Guidebook" (for image size 2-1/4" x 2-3/4"):

mask no. 4, 70-84mm lens
3, 86-90
2, 92-101
9, 103-125
10, 127-138
11, 140-162
8, 164-191
7, 192-227
6, 229-267
5, 268-305
3060 W.A. Adapter, 47-69

As to that last one, with a 65mm lens on, I believe you'll also get a good approximation of the scene if you don't use any mask---and I find the view through my no. 2 mask is VERY approximate. I assume that's also true for the others.

The masks numbered 2-11 had catalog number 9105-X, where X was the mask number. Thus cat. no. 9105-2 denoted the no. 2 mask.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-01-18 06:23 ]
mtwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the info, thanks. True, the relationship between viewfinder and actual ground glass image is only approximate but it is better than nothing.
The info you provide is helpful and I shall keep an eye out for some additional masks but you gotta wonder why a little bitty piece of metal could cost so much money.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarcity and greed, for starters.

My Century did not come with an optical viewfinder, so I bought one. It came with the #2 mask. After I mounted it, I found that it was less useful than I had anticipated. For field camera use, i.e., on a tripod, ground glass composition/focussing is the way to go. For handheld, the sports (wire-frame) finder is much more practical, IMHO. Trouble is, I removed the wire frame so I could get more rise with the 65mm lens. The obvious solution: I should have TWO Centurys, one set up as a field camera with the Optar 101, and the other set up as a "press" camera with the Kalart sighted in for the Graftar, which has a self-cocking shutter and thus is the lens of choice for hand-held; though it has limited coverage, it's sharp enough, and you wouldn't use movements with it anyway.

One other point: with a roll film holder mounted on the Century, it's quite a contortion to mash your face up to the optical finder. The sports finder is somewhat easier to use that way.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-01-18 17:15 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point: with a roll film holder mounted on the Century, it's quite a contortion to mash your face up to the optical finder. The sports finder is somewhat easier to use that way

While I love the look of the shorty style optical viewfinders, it really is more practical to use a long finder from a 4x5. That said, I always use the speed finder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: