Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honeywell Strobonar 600

View previous topic :: View next topic  
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I need to know where I can get replacement batteries (4) for a Strobonar 600. These are about the size of a "C" cell. If they are not available, is there a substitute? What is the voltage output of the original Ni-cad rechargeables?
Thanks,
Bill
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally know the 600, but if it's the same as the 660; 4 batteries hard-wired together in a removable unit inside the back of the flash head; then they're standard sub-c batteries and available at Radio Shack.
The voltage of all the c or sub-c batteries is nominal 1.2 volts. It's the current availablity that makes a bit difference. The higher the current rating, the more flahses you get. They started around 600ma, to 800-1000ma. Now they can be obtained all the way up to 1800ma. Radio Shacks are either 1000 or 1200 as I remember? There are many other places on the internet that offer these. I don't remember them off hand. Carl know a few and posts them here now and then, and you could search the board for his answers.

The only problem you'll have is connecting the new batteries together as the terminals supplied aren't long enough to connect together inside the container. I use desoldering braid for this (also available at Radio Shack). It is flexible and holds the current easily, and of course can be soldered to the tabs on the new batteries...
Rich...
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Bill
Gustaf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any luck finding batteries for the Strobonar 600? I think I threw out the corroded batteries so I don't know how to put the c-cells together. There is a good battery store in the area willing to do the work once I get the information.
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Actually I have a Strobonar 700. I expect it is similar. I got four c-cells 1-2/2 volt 1600 ma from Radio Shack. They are placed in a pattern to fit into the battery case behind the flash tube. This flash is excellent. When I have time I will post a note showing orientation of positive and negative if that will help. They are wired in series. The only other flash of that vintage I have is a Strobonar 64B and I don't know how to get the batteries out of that.
Regards,
Bill
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bill. I'm attempting to buy a 64B, and was told it uses "D" cells. You mean there's a problem with gaining access to the batteries for replacement? Fred.
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
I don't know how to access the batteries. I don't want to chance breaking anything. I am sure they are in there but I don't know how to get them out. I have used the 64B inside with AC power. It is an excellent, powerful flash. I could use another one like it. If you find info on how to access the batteries, please let me know.
Regards,
Bill
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...If I get the 64B and can't figure it out, Craig Camera has a manual on the 64 Series Strobonars that may be helpful. John Craig is very helpful on the phone...and will let you know if the problem is covered in the Intruction Manual. Fred.

williammontalvo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have purchased several items from John.
Regards,
Bill
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...Regarding the batteries in the Strobonar 64B....mine has three "D" cells in the flash handle. Unscrew the cap on the bottom like most flash-bulb-type battery case/handles and the batteries are inside. Just drop out the old and insert the new.
Fred.
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred. The cap is not free to remove on the one I have.
Bill
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...That is very strange. According to a book I have, Strobonar Guide by Rus Arnold, circa 1959, the 64B is just like the one I have....Futuramic Head, slide switch under the head that switches from battery to off-AC...a HH plug receptacle on one side of the lower portion of the head for sync cord...a recessed 2-pin plug on the other side for the AC cord... and the adjustable exposure guide on the rear of the head (passive, for reference only)...all mounted on a bright brushed- finish handle with a removable knurled cap on the bottom for battery replacement. It plainly states Model 64B under the slide switch on the head. This is the only 64B version in the book. Fred. P.S. Bill..is this what your looks like? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15221&item=1950518392&rd=1

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-12 06:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2003-01-12 09:04 ]
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Fred, I dont know if I should be embarrased or not. That cap was so tight that I thought it was welded on. I attempted to release it manually and failed, again! I left to take my daughter to the Gym and when I returned discovered that my wife had used a bottle cap pliers to remove it. She did not leave a mark on it. (I would have not have attempted that.) It was just tightened way beyond where it should have been or needed to be. The one you showed me on ebay was the correct flash.
Best regards and thanks for all the help.
Bill
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...congratulations to your wife! I hope yours works well with batteries. Mine does fine on AC, but if the batteries aren't really fresh, it only flashes intermittently on battery power. The book says to "pre-form" the capacitors on AC before switching to battery, but even so, the batteries appear to be not quite adequate. Probably due to component aging in the circuitry. Fred.
williammontalvo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
Thanks for the reply. I tried the flash only once with the battery. I was short if time. It seemed to work ok. I have two Strobonar 700's. They have a flash test button (also a shutter switch) which the 64 does not have. It is necessary to short the contacts in the socket to test it. That is a drawback but overall a small price to pay for a very powerful flash. The 64 is at least twice what the 700's are. I will check this for recovery time with the batteries and let you know what the results are. Total number of flashes with the batteries is also important. I have heard some people say that when the recovery duration exceeds 20 seconds, it is time to change batteries. I have used this for studio type work on AC before and it is good. Talk to you soon.
Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: