Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stolen Flash Gun but not my Camera
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Girls take photos too

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a long story short my Flash Gun alone was stolen over the holidays. My Speed Graphic camera was not. The crazy thing is that they were joined together as a unit in my car. I have recently discovered (from this site and Ebay)that my stolen Graflex 3 cell flash is popular with the(starwars)crowd. I have nothing against the movie...but I want my flash gun back. I know there are better flashes, but I inheareted both camera and flash from my Grandfather needless to say this is a big loss to me. Anyway since I (had) a popular flash it has been difficult to find another. If I do locate one on Ebay they are altered into swords and are missing hardware etc. Also the price is crazy. I don't know what to do at this point. Does any one have a Graflex 3 cell to sell that can be used as a flash...not a sword? If not can anyone help me find one anywhere... It's almost impossible on Ebay.
I'm a amateur photographer learning on my own every day. Any help with my delima is priceless to me.
Thank You very much
P.S. The policeman that arived at the scene thought my reported stolen "Flash Gun" was a hand gun...and proceeded to ask me about it's registration...Woops!
alecj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go away, kid! That lie's been tried here many times. If you just want a flashgun, buy it on eBay like everybody else. No one is going to give you a free ride here. My money's on the bet you wouldn't know a Graflex from a Linhof.

Besides, no sales or solitications are allowed here. You're just out of luck all around.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was / is the model number of the flash that grew legs and jumped out of your car and ran away when you were not around?

vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question somewhat related to Graflex flashes and ******** wanna-bes (Yoad-lovers, I've heard them called): while looking for potential sources for parts for graflex flashes, I found that many ******** sites offer what LOOK like good-quality reproductions of assorted parts... specifically I was looking at the flash clamp, to use my '50s Heiland with the flash bracket of an older Speed Graphic. Has anybody seen/used these parts? I even had the idea of reproducing a Graflex flash from assorted reproduction parts, adapting innards of other flash units. I think it would be both a kick and sick commentary if photographers ended up making their own reprouction flashes from parts offered by sci-fi fans, because the sci-fi fans bought up all the actual Graflexes.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops... and what I meant is that I've heard them called "YODA-lovers." Sorry.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
crvogt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check on EBay, shows the NON Red dot serviceable flash units are running at about $25-30. While not as good as the old days (pre ********) when they cost less than $5.00. On any given day there are at least 3-5 units up for auction, should not be a problem for a serious person wanting to restore and use Grandpa's camera...
Are we talking Urban Legend here????

Carl@carlvogt.com
http://www.carlvogt.com
vic valis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflites are inexpensive and I do have one, but when you're restoring a pre-1947 camera. you sometimes want a pre-1947 flash to go with it. More cosmetic than anything else, since Graflites look more flexible, but some of us are sticklers for the little details.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
MR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly this is the work of the Sith.

Any interest in a Heiland? If so, e-mail me at MRogers@reedbusiness.com
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath waiting for a response, MR. These are just St.. W.r kids hunting anniversary battery cases for Luke SkyWalker lasers, or whatever they call them.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-01-02 17:02 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Them's fightin' words! Watch who you call a S... W... fan! This guy's a collector with a degree in photography and way too many parts cameras (and too few working cameras)... actually, it's understandable. I too have seen all sorts of stories. Besides, Star Trek is more my speed, and that's mostly the original series. I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion on repro parts, especially those clamps.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense meant to you, Jeff. I respect anyone who is honest about what they like, and what they want. It's just these folks who feel they have to make up stories in hopes they'll get something for nothing [or little - less than ebay] that rile me.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the genuine article up on "E" with an opening of 225 and no repeat no one has "b"!!
Now If I were rich I would buy it, fly down to alabama and stick it in allexj's ear just for fun. Heck I might even pay the dr. bill to get it removed.
Now back when I first saw the origional Stair Wheres at an indoor mall mini screen theater made me want to see it on a big screen. A year or two later and I'm the projectionist at a drive in theraer and seeing it there made me wish they'd done it in 3-D. The verisons since then haven't done much for me. Guess its the fightin' the same old battles with new gadgets that causes me to ignor or disreguard the S.W. group on both sides of the fence.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-01-04 23:06 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you think you're up to the job, boy, just come on down!
vic valis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken here... hell there's worse things to worry about. I was just funnin' ya!

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Cenobyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a complete reproduction graflex flash.

I also own 2 real graflex flashes.

The clamps are the spitting image of the real ones. Same functionality and size.

I put a replica clamp on my real one and it fit perfectly. (The reason the clamp looks bad on the replica is that the maker had a bad batch with the platers. He just finished replacements that he is sending out that the plating is the way it should)

I have completely interchanged all of the replica parts with my real one and they are both same size and dimensions.

Here is a pic of my real 2 and I reproduction. (1 of the real ones has a replica 3-cell endcap on it)

They are out there.

[ This Message was edited by: Cenobyte on 2003-01-21 19:32 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: