Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder masks for 90mm lens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kino_eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks, I haven't been able to find out which, if any, viewfinder mask fits a 90mm lens on an Anniversary Speed Graphic. I would also appreciate a conversation from "#4" to what size lens a #4 finder mask will cover.

Thanks,
Christopher Lockett
Los Angeles
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graphic Graflex Photography, says a #4 covers lenses from 5" to 5 7/8" or 127mm to about 152mm

it also states its good for a 100mm wa lens (just goes to show how accurate these are supposed to be)

the 90mm on a 4x5 used either a slip in optical mask that had a negative element in front of the view finder or, for later cameras with removable viewfinders, they made a "wide angle viewfinder"
kino_eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a properly sized viewfinder mask for that matches my Zeiss Tessar 135 and it is removable. So, any idea which # finder mask will slip into my tube viewfinder - and will cover a 90mm lens?

I've got the 1947 Graphic Graflex Photography book and can't figure it out from the book.

Thanks,
Christopher Lockett
Los Angeles

PS - that previous post of mine should have read "conversion" instead of "conversation."
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try re-reading Les' response to your initial inquiry. Especially the last paragraph.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-22 23:52, alecj wrote:
Try re-reading Les' response to your initial inquiry. Especially the last paragraph.
After you've reread Les' reply, Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) has a heap of the slip-in negative lenses. They are also used for 65 mm lenses on 2x3 Graphics.
kino_eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alecj wrote: Try re-reading Les' response to your initial inquiry. Especially the last paragraph.

Thanks for the sarcastic response. It did not help. Nor did it show much reading comprehension. But that's another matter. I came here for answers, not attitude.

Dan Fromm's response did help, though. He recognizes that I understand that my camera uses a slip-in mask and that I am asking for the appropriate sized one to pair with a 90mm lens. Thank you, Dan Fromm. Very helpful, as this forum is intended to be.

Cheers,
Christopher Lockett
Los Angeles
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, you keep refering to a "slip-in mask and that I am asking for the appropriate sized one to pair with a 90mm lens", but Les clearly told you, and I was trying to get you to understand this ISN'T A MASK! It is a LENS! There isn't but ONE - they don't come in sizes. If you understood that, why didn't you just say so?

Calling a lens a mask does not indicate you understand the terms. I just naturally assumed you overlooked Les' explanation. I don't care whether you think it was sarcastic or not. You're the one with a comprehension deficit!
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A picture is worth a thousand flames." Confucius@graflex..org.

This is what the "mask" looks like that you need for a 90mm lens on a 4x5 or a 65mm lens on 2x3.
The dots are for parallax correction.

[ This Message was edited by: Confucius on 2002-10-23 20:18 because he can't get the f*&#!!ing html tag to f%$#!! work!!!
]

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-10-23 20:24 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keno_eye,
I suspect/assume that with a Zeiss Tessar you are using either a Pre-Ann or Anniversary Speed where the tubular view finder is not removable. In that case you need what I showed in the previous post. It's not perfect but it is what Graflex came up with for a 90mm lens.

For the early Kalart Pacemaker Speeds and the smaller speeds and crowns too, they made a special tubular view finder. This finder shows a wider view than than the optical mask on a normal finder.

In all photos the wide angle finder is the bottom, and you can tell from the smaller circle that the front lens is much different. It's also labeled on the bottom. Maybe somebody else with access to more partnumbers can tell us exactly what Graflex intended this to be for and maybe what the stamped 6 is. -6 diopter???

kino_eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to AlecJ and anyone else I annoyed.

I DO, contrary to my less than accurate posts, understand that I am in search of a LENS and not a MASK. My post was incorrect. I stand corrected. I always knew it was a LENS and not a mask, however, the term "mask" stuck in my head for some reason. AlecJ was right, the pictures helped. And, of course, this forum once again proved its worth. Thanks one and all and apologies for the confusion.

I have an Anniversary model with tubular finder. The viewfinder lens on mine is removable.

Seems that I'm probably better off ground glass focusing on the 90mm lens anyway.

I had hoped that I could use the 90 the same way I use the Zeiss 135 - handheld with a depth of field/hyperfocal chart that I printed out - I love being able to handhold a 4x5! With the 90 on there, I have to drop the rail bed and I'm not 100% sure that the focus marks on the side of the rail bed are accurate enough with the rail bed dropped, accurate enough to set at say, 15 feet and trust that it IS indeed focused at 15 feet, so I can use the hyperfocal/dof chart and handhold on that lens as well.

It's late. I'm tired. Does that make sense? Hopefully more than my last posts.

Again, thanks for taking the time to correct me and answer the questions. I honestly appreciate it.

Christopher Lockett
Los Angeles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: