Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got a new speed graphic! Why did I do that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Springback

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello---I've got this thing about contact prints. I usually shoot 8x10 but I am fond of my Pacemaker Crown for obvious reasons. In a moment of weakness, I succumbed and bought a 5x7 Pre-Anny Speed Graphic because I like the format for contacts and I happen to have a 14" APO Artar in a dial set compur that needs a home(5x7 Speed has 16" of bellows, right?) Anybody have any info on this model besides whats on the graflex.org site? Thanks!
Les

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 14" apo Artar is a heavy piece of glass. I think you'll find the Speed a bit of a lightweight for that lens and while the Speed may have had a 16" bellows in '30, I'm not sure I'd put that much stress on the old girl.

I think the Artar would be better served on a 5x7 or 6x8 2D.

Now did you get the one from colubus camera or the other one that ended over the weekend on ebay?

Springback

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Thanks for the info! I got the one off ebay with the side handle. The graflex.org skinny on the pre-anniversary says that a front standard can be made that will provide greater movements---sounds interesting. Also, what to you think about the suitability of the 203mm f7.7 Ektar or 240 G-Claron on the 5x7 Speed? I am looking for a hanbdheld camera that I can take skiing but will give me a negative large enough for nice sized contact prints. The 5x7 Speed Graphic is, I hope, what I'm looking for. From what I've read, it sounds like it would do as good a job, if not better than a 5x7 Technika and about 1/10th the price, especially since I wouldn't think I'd need all those movements shooting handheld and wieght is a definate consideration (of course now I have to convince my Bride that I have a real need three graphic cameras!) I sure hope the bellows are good!
antjam65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it could probably handle the 14" Artar. I regularly use a 12" Dagor in a #4 shutter on mine with no problems. I also have a 19" Artar in barrel that I would use with it if the bellows were long enough. I think my Artar might be in an aluminum barrel, as it's fairly light.
The 5x7 Speed does have something of a 'light' feel to it, though (I wanted to say 'flimsy', but I like the camera too much to characterize it like that). The bellows on mine are in amazing condition, but covering them with a darkcloth (if you have one handy) might be advisable outdoors in sunlight, or painting the corners from the inside before putting the camera into use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: