Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light meters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the entry about low budget meters on this forum. I have desided that I would like to get a gossen light meter of some sort. I will be using it for incident/ reflective readings on mostly landscapes but also stills and a few portraits. I have a speed grafic. Ok so what I'm wondering is what are the differences between the Luna pro, the Luna Pro SBC and the Luna Six. I'm looking at buying a used meter obviously and need to keep the budget below $80. I have seen the Vari angle attachment being sold on EBay for the Luna Pro, Will this fit either of the other two models I've listed? I did see that a Vari angle was available for the SBC originaly but have not seen anyone selling one of these. I would really like to have the Vari angle. I realize there is a battery difference in the 3 models and that the SBC has a zeroing needle instead of the EV values given on the other two, but do any of them have different capabilities than the others?? Help
Thanks
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Luna Pro F. F stands for flash. The Luna Pro will do everything the Luna Pro F will excepe read flash. They read incident or reflected (F read flash in both modes). It is a Null zero type system with a + or - 3 stop scale in 1/3 stop incriments. EV scale is from -8 to +24. ASA scale(ISO) is from 08 to 100k. EV compensation scale -6 to +6 in 1/3 ev incriments, set any filter facor, bellows extension facor into reading output. Cine scale and Zone system scales also. ASA dial, EV compensation, and reading zeroing dial all operate independent of each other for settings but track together for readings. EV to LUX table on the back. Standard angle of view is 300. I have a vari angle for mine also. I had mine calibrated 3 years ago and that cost more than you want to pay for one, but that is what I get for fooling around with a screwdriver.
I think the SBC has a different type of sensor and all else the same. If you plan on doing flash, the F will be a +.
Charles

Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Luna Pro F and can recommend it. It has a zero adjust, takes a standard 9v snap terminal battery, and is totally reliable. The incident, flash, and low light reading capabilities make it the complete meter for my kind of work with the Century Graphic. Can't comment on the other ones mentioned.

My everyday workhorse meter for outdoors is the GE DW-68---no batteries, accurate, calibrated in Graphex shutter speeds, a solid old-fashioned "Made in the USA" piece. You can pick up one for around $10-15. It's not much use for low-light situations, though---thus the Luna Pro F.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-12 12:54, sgt wrote:
I have read the entry about low budget meters on this forum. I have desided that I would like to get a gossen light meter of some sort. I will be using it for incident/ reflective readings on mostly landscapes but also stills and a few portraits. I have a speed grafic. Ok so what I'm wondering is what are the differences between the Luna pro, the Luna Pro SBC and the Luna Six. I'm looking at buying a used meter obviously and need to keep the budget below $80. I have seen the Vari angle attachment being sold on EBay for the Luna Pro, Will this fit either of the other two models I've listed? I did see that a Vari angle was available for the SBC originaly but have not seen anyone selling one of these. I would really like to have the Vari angle. I realize there is a battery difference in the 3 models and that the SBC has a zeroing needle instead of the EV values given on the other two, but do any of them have different capabilities than the others?? Help
Thanks
LunaPro = LunaSix III. The big change is that the sensor end of the pro accepts clip-on accessories, e.g., the narrow angle finder. I have a LP II and a LunaPro, prefer the LP. There was also a LP (no digits) with push buttons for the two ranges instead of a rocker switch. II and III are nicer.

Dire warning: a used meter is likely be off calibration, budget for service. Bogen (www.bogenphoto.com) will take care of most gossens, quality light metric in hollywood, CA will too, and they do most meters. did my weston earlier thisyear.

Cheers,

Dan
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogen charged me $85 for the Pro F calibration 3 or 4 years ago.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually get a new incident meter for around $100 or less. You give up some features but the basic meter won't be any different really.
sgt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the useful information!
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Luna Pros and and had an SBC.

the SBC was the null set type, whil the Luna Pro is semi direct read.....The needle gives you a number, you turn the dial to the number and get all of the exposure calculations from 1/1000th sec to 8 hours.

I had both repaired as the face came up and jammed the needle. 6 months and two days, the one of them did the same thing. Also while I like the luna pro, it was designed for batteries that are hard to find/ no longer exist. Bogen will convert it to common button batteries PX76, but it needs to be recalibrated.

Les
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another source for quality, economical meter [and LF camera] repairs.

http://www.lg4mat.net/

Richard Ritter did a lot of the work for Fred Picker of Zone VI, Studios Inc. fame.

Re: Luna Pro, Les, I found that you do NOT have to have it converted for silver batteries - they offer a little unit which holds the silver cells, including a different cap, and is user installed - no meter recalibration. At least, it worked fine for me. Just my 2¢.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2003-09-17 13:51 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna Pro F uses standard 9v batteries.

Rdwest1369

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before bogen distributed the gossen line
gossen was distributed by Berkey Marketing cos ( i worked for them from 1974 to 1980)
the luna six is the european designation the lunaPro the Lunasix II is esentially the same as the luna pro. the Lunapro SBC uses Silicon Blue cells vs the cds cells used in the Luna pro & Luna six series
as far as I know the pro & the luna six series utilized the same insides so aside from some cosmetic differences they are the same
the Luna Six 1 had two buttons vs the rocker switch
hth
Richard West

[ This Message was edited by: Rdwest1369 on 2003-10-21 20:26 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: