Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need to replace the tiny little tracks inside the box of a s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnanian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i have a pacemaker speed graphic, and over the years the tiny little tracks that the front standard locks, slides in - the ones inside the camera box, have gotten kind of damaged. any idea where i might be able to find replacement track? and what is the best substance to lubricate the tracks with, i have a feeling it would be easier to focus if it was lubricated

thanks for your help and suggestions!

- john
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of lube may have hastened this cameras demise, or at least the track's demise. I can think of two places.....

1. scrounge ebay for a surplus camera, or parts lots for them, they do show up often

2. Fred Lustig. He has the last cache of NOS parts, you can find his number by searching the list.

You might also need the parts the track slides into.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Good Book of Pacemakers (repair manual) says to wipe the tracks with a thin film of grease, current equivalent white lithium. Stephen Shuart (link on main page under related Web Sites) may have a yoke assembly complete or the bed section or case section available. (yoke=rail).
Also the standard lock may be out of adjustment. To tighten lock, loosen nut on the bottom of the standard lock and turn the screw counter clockwise, and retighten the nut. To loosen the lock loosen the nut, turn the screw clockwise, and retighten the nut. Lock should just be tight enough to prevent slippage when locked.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-08-27 19:14 ]
jnanian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks les and charles.

les: the rail is fine, just the smallpart of track is stationary (screwed down inside the box) has a few places where it seems to have broken off. i'll check out fee-bay for a "parts camera" ...

charles: thanks for the lithium greese info!

-john
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The small part of the track that's screwed to the body"

this has me concerned. If it is a Pacemaker Speed and not a Super Graphic, the rails inside the body should be linked to the long rails on the bed. this way you can focus those short lenses like 75 and 65mm, or even a 90 sort of hides in the body. If they really are rigidly fastened then somebody's been messin with your camera.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rail parts inside a Pace body screwed down are the rail (yoke) guide blocks and they usually have (a) shim(s) under them so that the rails (yoke) moves freely without shift or binding. It would be possible to disconnect the case section of the rails and set the guide blocks so that the case section does not move but would be a user modification for a special purpose.
The bed section that provides the rail guide for the bed are called the bed blocks.

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-08-27 22:45 ]
jnanian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again

the rail yoke guide blocks are the things i am talking about - not the rail itself
sorry les i wasn't quite sure about the terms when i posted the question(s) the rails are fine, and i am able to focus fine with a 65mm lens .. it is just the guide blocks that i need to replace ...

thanks again for your (plural) help!

john
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
The guide(s) mount with 2 screws and have two dowel pins in the bottom.
Go to http://www.southbristolviews.com , click on Graflex Manuals at the bottom of the left menu, download Top RF Repair manual.
To remove/repair/replace the guides the bellows will have to be removed.
Charles

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stephenshuart.com
Has material that makes 3 of them, you would have to match drill the holes..NOT pre-drilled or cut to length! Bert
jdman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These blocks are broken when trying to close the camera, without first retracting the tracks. They can be repaired, by reversing the left and right driving the guide pins to the other side, and using a needle file to make a new slot. You will also need to countersink the holes. The holes are not in the center, that why you have to switch the right to left etc.Russ
jnanian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again

i actually contacted stephen shuart a few days back, and he told me he had none in stock.

i also contacted a friend who wrote a book on camera repair, and he also sells equipment ...
he suggested that i reverse/swap the blocks too.
i did just that last night - lucky for me the previous owner didn't sheer them totally off -

anyhow, i just put each one in the holes from the block (that i swapped it with) and had no problems whatsoever. the rail slides in perfectly - no binding or any other problems.

i know this is a quickfix until i find the actual parts, but it seems to work for now -

thanks again for all your help

-john
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30590 P1 - Guide, left -- case section
30590 P2 - Guide, right -- case section

Part number is the same for ALL pacemakers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: