Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Speed graphic is focussing wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitlaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Speed graphic 4x5 with an ektar lens. My contact sheets come back WAY out of focus. the focus is in the wrong place. Anyone have any advice for me? Thank you.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the ground glass to focus then either the lens moved when you closed the shutter or the ground glass and the film aren't in the same spot.

If you are using a rangefinder to focus with, then the rangefinder is not synchronized with the lens.

On rare occasions, somebody has messed with the back and the ground glass is in the wrong spot.

tell us more about the camera and how you are using it.

Les

Barry Scholles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Whitlaw.

Here's a simple test for you. With your camera mounted on a tripod, focus your camera's rangefinder at an object maybe a hundred yards away, essentially at infinity.

Now with no holder in your camera, open the lens so you can look at the ground glass image through the back of the camera.

What you had in focus with your rangefinder should be in focus on the ground glass.

If the groundglass image is out of focus, your rangefinder is out of adjustment.

Don't worry about it. Most serious large format photographers use only the ground glass for focusing anyway. Just don't use the rangefinder in the future.

Barry Scholles
bscholles@adelphia.net
Whitlaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the replies. Thing is, I AM focussing with the ground glass. (To tell you the truth I'm not even sure where/what the rangefinder is). I'm worried that my camera is shaking out of whack when I put the film holders in. I think that might be the culprit?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-24 14:37, Whitlaw wrote:
Thank you so much for the replies. Thing is, I AM focussing with the ground glass. (To tell you the truth I'm not even sure where/what the rangefinder is). I'm worried that my camera is shaking out of whack when I put the film holders in. I think that might be the culprit?

Ok, so you focus on the GG. That eliminates many of the ways to go wrong.

If you have focus problems with distant subjects, moving the camera a couple of mm or even feet when inserting the film holder isn't the cause. Don't worry about that.

Is the ground glass in ground side towards the lens, smooth (shiny) side towards the back? Sometimes they're put in wrong after having beem removed, and this will cause every shot afterwards to be out of focus.

If there is a fresnel lens in front of the GG, is it an aftermarket fresnel? If so, take it out and try again. This can be a problem.

Finally, are you sure the problem is poor focus and not general fuzziness? Shoot a brick wall from a 45 degree angle, focusing on a nice vertical mark that you center in the frame. Then check the negative to see if the wall is sharpest at the mark or to one side of it. Shoot stopped down to, say, f/16.

If I've pointed out all of the obvious things you've already thought of and tried, well, sorry.

Cheers,

Dan
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When shooting, are you using a tripod or hand holding?
Are you using low shutter speeds or fast ones? Low=<1/60(50) Fast=>1/100.
Does your Speed have a Graflok or Spring back?
Is your Speed a pacemaker? Body release lever on lower right as you hold to shoot.
If a pacemaker, are you using the body release to trip the shutter?
Which shutter are you using, lens, Focal Plane, or both?
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-08-24 18:00 ]
Barry Scholles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitlaw-

One more time. How are you releasing the shutter? Are you using a cable release? For the smoothest, least vibration release you should.

The ground surface of the ground glass should be inside the camera, toward the lens, with the smooth side facing outside the camera. The fresnel lens, if you have one should be inside the camera with the etched, grooved side toward the ground surface of the ground glass.

How's your tripod? I assume you're using one. If not, you should it should be a nice steady/heavy one. If it's light weight and shaky, a Graphic makes a nice large and light weight surface for the wind to blow around.

What shutter speeds are you using? The old rule of thumb is one over the focal length of the lens in mm is the steadest shutter speed you can hand hold. For example,if you're shooting with a 127 mm lens you should not hand hold below 1/125 second.

Confused? A couple more photos should clear things up.

Barry S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: