Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View vs. Super Speed Graphic: Your choice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, I've been doing some looking, and since it looks like most of the GV II's are more in the price range of what I am able to pay, I'll be going that route for now (what can I say, I've always been partial to the good old monorail).

Now, that being the case, I'm watching an auction for what appears to be an excellent condition GV II that has lensboards with it, but no lens. I can live with that.

My question is this:

The lensboard that comes with this particular camera says that it is cut with a 1 1/2" diameter lens hole. Will this fit any of the lenses I am bound to find for it?

If not, what lense type would you recommend for this lensboard for portraiture?

Thanks in advance for all your help, you're all the BEST.

Jason
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-08 01:01, JasonG wrote:
Well folks, I've been doing some looking, and since it looks like most of the GV II's are more in the price range of what I am able to pay, I'll be going that route for now (what can I say, I've always been partial to the good old monorail).

My question is this:

The lensboard that comes with this particular camera says that it is cut with a 1 1/2" diameter lens hole. Will this fit any of the lenses I am bound to find for it?

If not, what lense type would you recommend for this lensboard for portraiture?

Thanks in advance for all your help, you're all the BEST.

Jason

For modern shutters:

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm

1 1/2" sounds about the size of a #1. Any lens mounted in a #1 shutter will fit. You can make new lensboards fairly easily. Of course you can always make holes bigger if need be.

On Grimes website you'll also find measurements for classic shutters.

If you are looking at monorails and not wanting to spend a lot don't rule out the Calumet C400/401 or what is supposed to be it's twin the B&J Orbit. The B&J Orbit tends to go for less money. The B&J name drives down the price. The Calumet will sell for about the same price the Graphic View might. You can use Graflex lensboards on the Calumet but not the other way. Calumet still sells service parts for the 400 series camera including lensboards.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2003-08-08 04:06 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:16 ]
JasonG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Charles.

Unfortunately, I'm not shall we say mechanically inclined. Though I can probably find a local machine shop that could make a lensboard to fit a lens.

So, if anyone spots a good auction or sale on a GV II, please let me know. I can't wait!!!

Jason
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-08 23:34, JasonG wrote:
Thanks for the info Charles.

Unfortunately, I'm not shall we say mechanically inclined. Though I can probably find a local machine shop that could make a lensboard to fit a lens.

So, if anyone spots a good auction or sale on a GV II, please let me know. I can't wait!!!

Jason

I thought you had one picked out already? But if not, I'll offer a few suggestions learned from buying a few.

First, find one that comes with the original Graflex hard case. It makes carrying it around a whole lot easier and it's extremely difficult to find a case by itself later, not to mention expensive.
Deffinitely get a GVII over a GVI. Many advantages!
If you get one with a normal lens (anything from a 135 to 152mm), you should be getting a good deal on the lens ('package' deal).
You'll need a recessed lens board for a 90mm or shorter. You really can't make one of these yourself.
Make sure it's got the tripod mount! Some don't and they're as hard to find as the case.
The Graflok back is nice but not necessary. Most GVIIs do have them though, but it's worth checking!
Be patient and wait for the complete package. It will save you money in the long run.

And try making your own lens board at least once. It's part of the fun. The easiest route would be with a sheet of masonite 1/8 inch thick. All you really need are a small hand saw, drill, file, and for the hole in the middle you could use the drill & a coping saw. A vice would also come in handy... Really only about $15 worth of hand tools and the masonite is cheap.

I recommend the masonite over the plastics (lexan or acrylic) because it's easier to work and less prone to cracking while making the hole. You also don't have to paint it because it's already light proof. I make them myself out of plywood but I have a router table and drill press to do the sizing, hole cutting and rabbiting. You can buy the original aluminum boards for roughly $35 or less quite a few places though...

Good luck with your new View II. It's a great camera with great looks and fun to use!

45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:17 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it seems duct tape can make them light proof if the wood is too thin-))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: