Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a press camera-)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-30 17:03, Les wrote:

Well there was. Both B&L and Goerz made tele-adapters for their prime lenses. A friend of mine has a 12" Tele-tessar. That's a 12" Tessar with an 8x zoom tele-adapter, for a total of 96" focal lenght that focuses very well on an 8x10 Deardorff.

Charles:
I've heard of the front supports and have thought of looking into something like that. The only time I really have problems is when I'm in a rush and forget what I'm working with. The Graflex's (Speed & View) are pretty stable, but that 8x10 is something else...

Les:
An 8 times tele adapter? Now that's something I'd love to have! I can't imagine how you could keep the vibration out though. Unless you directly mounted the camera to a concrete platform? Would be a fun thing to play with and show off though. But is is even usable to focus at f90? Okay, so now there's something new on my want list

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2003-07-30 19:36 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think adapting seismological advances may be the ticket to keep things stable with that 8X.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-07-30 23:13 ]
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it came today.

Pluses:

Bellows seem perfect. Almost brand new.
It's 4x5.

Negatives.

I can't seem to figure out tilt. I actually think the camera doesn't have any tilt. OTOH rise and shift are working.

The lens is actually a 127mm. Worse the shutter lacks a pre-view mode. You need to hold the shutter open on the B setting. OTOH I've already swapped in my 150mm. Lensboards from my View I fit just fine.

The small back is 2 3/8" x 3 1/2". Seems nice if I ever build a small camera but otherwise useless.

Generally happy. It's likely 50 years old and isn't perfect but will work just fine.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I figured out tilt. So that's fine. Only real issue now is how short a lens it will take.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-06 12:07, Nick wrote:
Well I figured out tilt. So that's fine. Only real issue now is how short a lens it will take.

Congrats and glad to hear you figured it out Also glad to hear it's 4x5!

Can't help with the short lens though. No documentation... But you could easily measure from the lens board to the film plane to get your minimum distance for an infinity focus since the lens moves away from the film at closer focuses. And if it uses 4 inch lens boards, you could also use a recessed board to pick up another 1/2 to 1 inch!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the screw driver to it. What can I say-) There are two stops on the tracks that I thought might be for infinity stops. Well they would have limited the camera to maybe a five inch lens. I've moved them to infront of the standard and now the camera seems like it can use quite short lenses. Certainly shorter then anything I could afford to buy. I've got a 105mm lens on it now and that seems just fine.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For shutters that only have "B" (bulb) that won't stay open for GG focusing, a locking-type cable release is an essential tool. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"T" is for time. Trip a shutter set on T and it stays open until the trip lever is pressed again or the shutter speed dial is turned to another time setting.
(Info provided for those that need it.)
Charles

clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but a lot of shutters only have "B" for bulb...not "T" for time...and also don't have the lever to open the shutter for focusing...i.e. my Kodak Synchro-rapid 800 shutter. Got tired of trying to hold the shutter open while focusing, thus the cable release that I can set to lock down, or use in standard press-and-release mode. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: