Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paterson Universal developer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueridge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Someone gave me a free bottle of Paterson Universal Developer but with no directions. The Paterson home page is not clear on the mixing of this particular developer. Does anyone know if the developer ratio is 1:9, 1:19 or 1:42????????? I have read all of these from the net at different sites.
I'll be developing Ilford HP5 for contact printing portraits and still life. Thank you for any assistance...I just got my Graphic View I and am really looking forward to using it.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&H Photo sells it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=243758&is=REG

They are usually very helpful. If you call them on the phone, they may be able to give you some info. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Patterson website and I'd start out with the 1:29 for 7.5 minutes. It seems that UD is similar to Rodinal or HC 110 in that it can be used in various dilutions.

Rodinal has similar dilutions for normal processing but can be used extremely diluted in a process called still processing.
The old term "tank development" meant you used a weak solution, without agitation and developed by inspection. It's quite a kick to develop in Rodinal 1:200 for 45minutes. First off you don't have to with your film all the time, a minute either way is insignificant and with this method the highlights stop developing before the shadows so everything is printable.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. 200:1 @ 45 minutes results in more even development? Never tried that...never even heard of it. Don't have Rodinal...got some HC110. I assume it would do the same thing? Gonna make some test shots with lots of sunny highlights and shadows and try it! Thanks. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRocess until the highlights pop thorough the back. 15w light, deep green filter about 3 ft away.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: