Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On my Pre-Ann SG: what filter thread size is the 127mm Ektar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I'm excited to be one step closer to 4x5 Graflex photography! Acutally, I'm already there: I just picked up a Polaroid #500 film holder for my Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic. (I now know my Graflex is a '39 model, thanks to Gandolf.)

My question is: What size filter (or which Series VII, VIII, etc. friction-fit adapter) should I buy for my lens? I put the 127mm Ektar I mentioned on this SG because it's Synchro-Compur is working--my 15cm Zeiss in rim-set Compur isn't.

Maybe this is a lens bulletin board question, but I thought I'd post here first.

Thanks,
Micah in NC
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I should've searched the old posts, like the instructions say. I found Les informed someone a while back on filters, saying to "scour ebay for series 6 or series VI. It will be a round aluminum hood. you'll need a slip on adapter ring. These were lens specific but the 127mm and 125 used a 1 1/4" slip on. The hood slips onto that and the neat part is any series 6 filter will fit in between."

Thanks, Les!

(I really should use the search function more here...)

--Micah in NC
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah,

The 1-1/4" size, also known as 31.5 mm, was an extremely common size in series VI, as many of the "normal lenses" (in 2x3 format) such as the 101 Optar took it. This doesn't mean that it will be easy to find one, but you probably should not pay too much for one. What is "too much"? Anything over $5, IMO. I've picked up a number of them at camera swap meets around s.e. PA. Keep your eyes open down there and maybe you will "luck out."

Henry
worldphoto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1-1/4" is for a 101mm Ektar. The 127mm Kodak Ektar requires a 1-1/2IN. 38mm slip-on ring. I own both lenses.
Harry
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think later in that thread I got admonished for not wearing my glasses while reading a micrometer.

Now about that Model 500 Polaroid back. Polaroid Inc says t won't fit current sheet film. Polaroid is desperate for you to by a new Polaroid 545i.....

However it will be a bit fussy to use over a say a model 545. The difficulty is the 500 doesn't have a way of stopping the dark slide (dark envelope) from coming all the way out and if that happens you won't be able to get it back in.

the best thing to do is to waste your first sheet by putting it in the holder and pulling the dark slide while watching the film aperture (where the image will be exposed) when you see the darkslide disappear, then look at the back and mentally line something up between the holder and the darkslide.

For example: The darkslide won't interfere when the first line of the "do not press" is in line with the edge of the holder" or something. like it.

Micah in NC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, Worldphoto, and Les:
Thanks for the advice! I found that I posted my question prematurely, but also found something that may be of use to others...

When I opened up my Pre-Ann again and looked at the 127mm Ektar, I found it had a Series VI adapter ring ALREADY ATTACHED! Yep, all it needed was a retaining ring (or a hood) to hold filters in place. Luckily, I had picked up a Kodak Series VI slip-on adapter ring in the 1 1/2" size, for use on my Kodak Tourist 616 folding camera. I used the retaining ring from that adapter--not the adapter itself--and voila! My Series VI filters fit!!!

Here's the tip: a 127mm Ektar will take a "Series VI adapter ring, No. 27" which was the adapter ring on my Ektar when I received it. The lens barrel rim is threaded and this #27 adapter threads right into it. Well, let me qualify that by saying that such is the case on my Ektar, which is Serial #RO2636, presumably a 1956 lens from the infamous "CAMEROSITY" Kodak date code system.

Also, a question on Polaroid B&W film, when shooting the peel-apart pack film in 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" size (100, 200, 300, 400 series Land cameras) I noticed they offered a "cloud filter" for making the sky and clouds stand out--much like the use of dark yellow filters and traditional B&W films. Well, I have a Polaroid Cloud Filter for my 300/400 series Land cameras, but it's too small to cover the Ektar glass, so I tried a Wratten A (red) and also a Wratten G (dk. yellow) filters. The result: NEITHER filter produced darkened sky. I got blank, utterly white skies in my attempted shots with these filters. Why is that?

What did I do wrong? Does Polaroid Type 57 not act like normal B&W film? Could it be the fact my Type 57 expired in Jan. 2001? The exposures seem right on, just the skies were blank, stark white.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to shoot some more with my Graflex again soon!

--Micah in NC
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-10 21:54, Les wrote:
...The difficulty is the 500 doesn't have a way of stopping the dark slide (dark envelope) from coming all the way out and if that happens you won't be able to get it back in.

the best thing to do is to waste your first sheet by putting it in the holder and pulling the dark slide while watching the film aperture (where the image will be exposed) when you see the darkslide disappear, then look at the back and mentally line something up between the holder and the darkslide.

Les,
You're absolutely correct. I was helped immensely by the seller from whom I bought the #500 holder. When I agreed to his offer to sell me 20 sheets of slightly-outdated Type 57 film for $10, he was kind enough to include a 21st sheet of exposed Type 57 film for experimenting upon. He inserted the sheet into the holder and pulled out the slide to the correct point. He then drew dotted lines on the dark slide/sheath, tracing a line around the right edge and the notched portion of the holder. He even included a hand-written set of directions for it, with his tips as well.

The point to stop pulling out the sheath/slide ends up being at the left edge of the number 5 in the big "57" printed on the dark slide of Type 57 film, when aligned with the edge of the holder (not its notched portion where you grab film tabs). I suppose other Polaroid sheet films could be similar, but not sure as I haven't tried them...yet.

(By the way, the Polaroid address on the holder, sans Zip Code, is a clue to its age--it's listed as "Cambridge 39, Mass."--probably dates to sometime before 1965, I guess.)

--Micah in NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: