Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dating my Pacemaker Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching the internet for a way to date my camera but ended up here. I couldn't find any productiontables or secret code (like dating the Ektar lenses). I hope you can be of any help!

The serial number is: #873013
Perhaps someone could also explain to me how to date a Graflex camera? Thanks in advance!
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to date a Speed Graphic on your own is a lot like dating a high maintence blond--the process if full of pitfalls, frustration and confusion. :roll

batches of serial numbers were assigned to a model of camera model along with a job number and then those cameras were built. Early on the batches were rather small. 200-300 range.

A batch of 4x5 Speeds may be followed by a batch of Century portrait cameras, or 2D view cameras, or the big copy cameras. There was no rhyme or reason as to what followed what other than demand. Also whether all of the batch was actually made or sold is of some debate. Further how long it took to make the batch varies greatly.

Later in the 50s, the blocks get larger--2000-3000 and the time from the first to the last may be more than a year (by the late 60s)

Also in the 60s they devised a date code where the 1st alpha charcter was the month and the second was the year. The decade was not used. Thus a camera with a code of A3A might be made in '63 or 73, but the serial number would decide what decade. This was stamped during assembly and is much more accurate than the serial number alone.

There is also the model changes that can give you a ball park idea of when it was made. Pacemakers with Kalart side rangefinders were typically made from 47-55. Top rangefinder cameras were made from 55-73. From 55-56 There was a period where top rangefinder bodies were fitted with a side rangefinder, So those are relatively easy to pin point.

Most of this information comes from Mckeown's guide to cameras.
Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My camera seems to be fitted with a top viewfinder as well as a Kalart side rangefinder. I dated my Kodak Ektar 127mm lens (which came with it when I bought the camera) at 1951. I presume the camera body would be of the same period but you never know.

As I understand from Les' post, it is quite impossible to date the camera by myself. Perhaps someone else could (Gandalf?). I'm new to this forum but I noticed that he seems to have no problems dating Graflex cameras
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: