Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

photographic instruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wassink

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased an anniversay speed graphic to take nice nature photos and maybe do some macro work. I have no previous photographic experience and am looking for a class, beginners workshop, or instructor that deals with specifically with graflex cameras in the San Diego, Riverside, or Orange County, CA area to show me how to get the most from my camera.
Springback

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take an evening class at a local junior college or community adult school? Contact the instructor before hand and tell him/her about the camera you want to learn how to use, and have that anny checked out before clas starts---nothing quite as discouraging as shutters or range finders that are off, or pinholes in your bellows which will prevent you from getting the results you want from your hard work in class. OR find an old time press photographer who will give you private lessons/advice! Good Luck with your 'new' Speed Graphic!
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is of course a wealth of information be gleamed from this website and experience to be had from users here on this help forum. I had almost 20 years using 35mm and MF before I started with Graphics and all the info I have (as little as it is ) i've gotten from right here!! Next I've translated this info into just getting gear together, then going out and starting to shoot,learning,experimenting. Nothing more than baby steps as the budget (and my accountant Mrs) will allow.
Other resources I have found helpful are the book "GRAPHIC GRAFLEX PHOTOGRAPHY" 10th edition 1953, the Ansel Adams series "THE CAMERA", "THE NEGATIVE, & "THE PRINT".
I have also talked to a couple of locals in my area who photographed for weekly papers using Graphics many decades ago. Both of these fellows have been more than happy to discuss these cameras & experiences using them.
Good luck.
SG

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-05-09 08:37 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 02:44, wassink wrote:
I purchased an anniversay speed graphic to take nice nature photos and maybe do some macro work. I have no previous photographic experience and am looking for a class, beginners workshop, or instructor that deals with specifically with graflex cameras in the San Diego, Riverside, or Orange County, CA area to show me how to get the most from my camera.
If you really know nothing at all about photography, the best introduction to the craft of taking pictures (not darkroom work) is an out-of-print book, Field Photography, by A. A. Blaker. Nothing else in my library has helped me as much to think photographic problems through. I found Blaker especially helpful on close up work, which you say you want to do.

Good luck, have fun, don't give up,

Dan
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Community/Junior colleges for Basic Photography course(s). One taught by a working or retired pro are the best. The classes that teach one to use a piticular camera are the worst.
Charles

RichS

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 12:46, Dan Fromm wrote:
If you really know nothing at all about photography, the best introduction to the craft of taking pictures (not darkroom work) is an out-of-print book, Field Photography, by A. A. Blaker. Nothing else in my library has helped me as much to think photographic problems through. I found Blaker especially helpful on close up work, which you say you want to do.

Good luck, have fun, don't give up,

Dan

Thank you Dan! After reading your post, I ran to ABE Books and found a perfect condition copy complete with the field guide insert. Just got it today and spent some time going through it. There's a lot of standard stuff anyone with some experience can easily skip, but a whole lot of very useful stuff that I plan on reading through with a bit more attention. Nice to see he didn't ignore large format, and even paid special attention to it in many places.
Now, where can I find that infrared dipping solution for flash bulbs? (See, I did actually read quite a bit already)...
Obviously some of the material is dated (like our favorite book), but it's a shame that books like this go out of print...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: