Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RODENSTOCK HELIGON 80 F2.8 XL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchouser

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, I ordered it. I don't find any reference to the HELIGON 80 for the XL, but I have seen the picture and ordered the lens for my XLRF. Any insites? thanks
antjam65

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80mm f2.8 Heligon is a really fine lens. It is a 6-element, 3-group design, but is smaller and lighter than the 5-element 80mm Planar. It may not be quite as nice wide open as the Planar, but it is every bit as good (as far as I can tell) once you stop it down some. Also, the shutter used for the 80mm Heligon doesn't have as many aperture blades as the shutter of the 80mm Planar, so the iris is not as round, which leads to less pleasing bokeh (quite noticable if you have out-of-focus highlights).
I've used the 80mm Heligon with 6x9 backs and it seems to cover fine, but it is recommended for 6x7.
I think you'll like it.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask, but I must have skipped class the day that "bokeh" was presented. Can you lend me your notes? Whatever it is, "less pleasing" doesn't sound too good, either.

Could this possibly be "bouquet"?

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-05-10 06:14 ]
antjam65

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Bokeh' is from the Japanese word 'bokeru', which means 'be unclear', 'be out of focus', etc.

There's a good explanation of bokeh here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

But if you do a quick internet search you'll find others.

I'm not too technically-oriented, so I usually just consider it as "how out-of-focus points of light are rendered," and skip the detailed explanations. It is important, though. Once you start paying attention to it you'll really start to favor your lenses that have better bokeh. I disagree with the above article's assertion that, "the shape and number of a lens' diaphragm blades has little to do with bokeh" (and I think in the article's subsequent discussion it becomes clear that this argument is overstated). No matter how the light is distributed, out-of-focus hexagons, for example, look crappy compared to out-of-focus circles. That's why, in my opinion, a round iris is an important first step to achieving nice bokeh.

Henry

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay on the bokeh. (Or for us Victrola fans, Okeh on the bokeh.) I learned something today---thank you.

That Rockwell link is definitely worth reading!

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2003-05-11 04:01 ]
rchouser

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, thanks for the reply. The people make the site, and this is a GREAT site for information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: