Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The bed latch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
check6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a used Speed Graphic and the bed latch was completly dismantled-parts loose in the case. I put it back, but it doesn't seem to keep the bed from flopping open. Don't know if there are parts missing or not. Is the latch supposed to spring back after you push the button in, or what?

Anyone help?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latches have a >spring< return in them, so it should spring back after you release it! Bert
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search of the help board for manuals to get one of the links to the Top RF pacemaker manual, as there are several members who have it on their web sites, and lookup the bed latch in the service section and IPB. The latch is basically unchanged from the Anniversary model to the end of the company.

worldphoto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last post got me curious so I looked it up on the 40 page manual at:
http://www.worldphoto.us/graflexindex.html and sure enough it's right on page 3. It is made up of only three items (Item 47, 48 and 49). They are a Spring-Bed Catch, a Machine Screw and a Button.
The Spring-Bed Catch should catch on a little lip on the camera's bed edge to hold it closed.

[ This Message was edited by: worldphoto on 2003-04-20 09:49 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You jarred my memory, and to be exact, it catches on the bed front edge chorme strip's inner edge.

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the top button released models it was a simple 1 piece flat spring bent to catch on the chrome strip! Older models with the side button had a coil spring return and a bit more complicated! I assumed from Check 6's description that the camera was the side release button....."dismantled-parts, loose in the bed" If it is the leaf type and it doesnt..catch..he will have to do some re-bending so it will! (small bends, until it holds tight) Bert
wle3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Century that looks brand new except the (top-button) bed latch is bent & won't hold. Obviously the fix is to bend it back as was mentioned here, but because of the angle I can't figure a way to do that without taking it off. There is just one small 4-sided screw holding it in, and it is hard to access with normal tools because of its size and because of the bellows. I don't want to remove the bellows -- what's the best way to get it out? Or is there a good way to bend it back without removing it that I'm not seeing?
Thanks.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local hardware store and get a minature needle nose plier, preferably without ribbs, and griping the lever from the side, reform it to proper shape. You may need to fully retract the front standard and take the lens off to gain maximun working area and to minimumize potential damage to other parts.
Charles

wle3

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it worked! It's probably not as authoritative a "click" as it had from the factory, but now it holds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: