Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gandolf.....Date of Birth for Super Speed???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summons for the Wizard of Middle Earth...
could you provide date of birth for my "new" Super Speed Graphic serial# 653715 ?
I've just gotten it back from Fred Lustig's capable hands and it's in great shape.
One thing I neglected to ask him was about the different designations I have seen on the Graflex 1000 shutter...mine says 2A but I have also seen 2B and also (i think) even 2C. Can anyone offer any insight on what differentiates the shutters with these designations?
Thanks in advance,
SG
Gandolf

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2A was built for the super with internal contacts for sync. the 2B was built for the Model 1000, which is nothing more than a Crown with this shutter.

Without the internal contacts they had to modify the shutter slightly and put a tri-post socket on the front (and eliminate the X-M switch).

I'm not sure about the 2C. Some people have noticed on later versions of the 2A/B, the last leaf has a bent corner. Apparently early versions did not have this and occasionally the leaves would collide during the closing of the shutter with disastorous results.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory repair manual dated January 1966 lists shutter model 2B as discontinued. It also lists Leaf Assembly-Shutter 4 times, same part numbers/descriptions for 2A & 2B, with these distinctions, Bent Upwards, Flat on Edge replaces ...., Plain, Bent Downward.

Sobah, what is the date code on the rail crossmember?

sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles.....

There is a very faint stamp on the forward yoke cross-member, is this where you mean?
If so, it looks like L4B (or perhaps L4C). Does this narrow down the batch date of the Super in the same way as the cross-piece date code of a Crown or Speed? I had not even considered this possibility.

I might also add that the shutter had the outside (front & rear) leaves with the upward & outward bent edges when I got the camera and it still jammed. Mr. Lustig said, (as J.P. Mose has posted previously), that the culprits in this case were the plastic cams & eccentric wheels that had become brittle and one failed. Fred replaced all the leaves & attendant parts with the most recent ones that he had in stock to minimize the chance of failure again, so far as that is possible.

Thanks Gandolf, Les & Charles for the info.

SobahGuy.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2003-05-01 13:43 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SobahGuy,
That's it, J=December 4=1964.(1974 would have a much higher serial number, but starting form scratch one would not know without a serial number list or knowing the last serial number ever produced and sales rate, (my clue came from the repair manual).
The only other caution in the repair book revelant ot everyday use is : With timing ring set to "O" and shutter triped, do not turn cocking ring to close shutter, turn speed ring to another speed setting.
Happy Shooting!

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-05-01 19:04 ]
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi & Thanks again...
Another thing that Fred did was to put black rivets in 4 small holes on the outside of the drop-bed where a military placard used to reside, which piques my curiosity again. I know that there have been previous threads discussing military kits, which this camera was apparently a part of at one time. I was wondering how late did Graflex make Graphics for the military? I would think that 1964 would be getting near the end of the line for Graphics being carried around on deployment, especially with the up-and-coming Nikon F becoming popular among war photographers at that time and during the ensuing years.
But then again, just when you would least expect it there's Donald Rumsfeld being photographed by a Graphic a couple of months ago.
Were Graphics being made for all branches of the Armed Forces during the 60's or were they limited to the Army at that time? I have seen several complete Super Speed kits on the 'Bay, and one dealer even had one at the photo show outside of Boston that I went to last weekend. The military SSG kits I have seen all seem to have an Army tag on the cases and cameras.
Thanks again.
SobahGuy.
vic valis

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since we're talking about camera ages, I've got a few to identify, although it may not be too easy. The first is an older top-handle camera, 4x5, which seems to have too few digits, but no more are visible: #85996. The second is a pre-anniversary with damage to the paint inside (somebody tried to close the front bed with the raols still extended partially) obscuring all but the first 3 digits: #72xxxx... there may be a "3" before the "7," but it looks like it was scratched into the paint by hand. A ballpark here would be appreciated. The third ought to be easy. Anniversary Speed Graphic with blackened hardware, #323859. Nomenclature plate attached to the front bed indicates year as 1941, but the plate does ont look original to the bad, and the bed was a definite replacement (chromed hardware). Curious for myself, but also because I'm lecturing a clas of highschool students in mid-May and wouldlike to be able to explane the range of ages to them. Thanks.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Gandolf

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The first is an older top-handle camera, 85996."

1917-1918 No recorded dates before 1921, but anchor points have been noted with certain cameras.

"pre-anniversary first 3 digits: #72xxxx... there may be a "3" before the "7," "

The closest would be a 172,xxx which is 1930.
370,xxx would be post war, 720,xxx would be a pacemaker.

"Anniversary Speed Graphic with blackened hardware, #323859."

Gov't Issue 1943
vic valis

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, good stuff, thanks for the info. I'm sure the kids will be impressed to hear that an almost 90 year old camera will still be taking pictures once I've finished working on it.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SobahGuy,
I was in the Air Force 1970-1974 and worked on missle systems. We had a photographer in the squardon one day (1972) and he was forced to use a Speed Graphic as he said his supervisor wanted a Good negetive he could Blow Up. I do not know how late they were still in use and all branches had them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: