Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focus probs after using drop bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used the drop bed facility on my Pacemaker for the first time in ages. Like an idiot I somehow managed to rack the rear section of the tracks closest to the ground glass right out of their grooves. I slid them back in again and everything seems to be okay EXCEPT that the focus is very tight as it is initially wound out, as though something is resisting. It does smooth out and become eaiser the more it is wound out. Before I take the camera in to be checked [and lose the use of it for days if not weeks] I thought I would ask if anyone else has ever had this problem?

thanks a lot
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much like you bent the guide rails that the bed slides back and forth on. When using the drop bed it is essential that the hinged section of the bed be positioned at the gap between the rear guide rails (the ones in the camera body) and the guide rails on the bed itself, before pushing down the struts and attempting to lower the bed. If this is what happened, then I would suggest that you remove the guide rails (they're held down by several screws) and attempt to straighten them by placing them in a vise with padded jaws and exerting gentle pressure---or a pair of smooth-jaw pliers might work also. I've seen replacement rails listed from sources like Midwest Photo and Stephen Shuart.

The first time I gunched the rails on my Century I went right to my model rr parts box and found two brass washers about 1/4" diameter, "painted" them black with a marking pen, and installed them under the screw heads at the rear of each guide rail on the bed. These strengthen the hold-down grip on the rail ends and give a "resistance warning" when I forget to properly line things up.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2001-09-09 04:57 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: