Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SUPER SPEED GRAPHIC NEEDS FOCUSING GLASS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchouser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering a purchase of a Super Speed graphic camera. It has a cracked focusing glass. I am new to the large format so I don't know alot of things that I should. Is a new focusing glass screen available for this camera? Should I walk away and find another one with no crack. I like the idea of the Aluminum case and the cammed range finder etc. Is there any reason to avoid this model? I would appreciate any opinions, advise, or referals to someone with glass. Thanks rchouser
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-13 03:34, rchouser wrote:
I am considering a purchase of a Super Speed graphic camera. It has a cracked focusing glass. I am new to the large format so I don't know alot of things that I should. Is a new focusing glass screen available for this camera? Should I walk away and find another one with no crack. I like the idea of the Aluminum case and the cammed range finder etc. Is there any reason to avoid this model? I would appreciate any opinions, advise, or referals to someone with glass. Thanks rchouser
The ground glass is replaceable. I've bought from http://www.stephenshuart.com, who sells on eBay as photofinder. When you put it in, remember that the matte side goes towards the lens, shiny side towards the film.
bryanlaplante

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this - so no guarentee! - but I think you could use plain window glass, and use craft store glass etching gel to 'frost' it. You need to make sure the frosted side is exactly in the same relative position as the original. One catch - the average hardware store glass may be too thick. Also check out stained glass stores - I think some of them have frosted glass.
rchouser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have posted a "close" to my question. The link in Dan Fromm's response was exactly right. I was able to get a new screen that is very high quality and was a "drop-in" fit. Thanks to all that responded. This is a great site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: