Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Availibility of roll film holders for 2x3 crown grafic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFHusk2001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 crown grafic with a spring back. The camera looks and manages well, but I need to obtain some way to hold roll film. Is it possible (and necessary) to secure a replacemnent back which will take my Graflex roll holder? Any help would be appreciated.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of three ways to go.

1. Find a graphlok back that readily accepts roll holders. It's an easy switch, but a back by itself can get pricey.

2. Find a roll holder spring kit. These are hard to find but they do show up on ebay and are cheaper than a graphlok back. A word of caution, these came in two sizes, one that fits 2x3 and one that doesn't (fits 3x4 and 4x5) get the right one.

3. If you have some spare time, a little ingeniouity, a vice and some washers it's possible to cobble up an effective clamp for the roll holder. Certainly the cheapest of the lot. You'll need to bend the washers to an ell shape so they fit into the goove of the holder and screw into the existing holes.

Les
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-08-27 14:29, DFHusk2001 wrote:
I just purchased a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 crown grafic with a spring back. The camera looks and manages well, but I need to obtain some way to hold roll film. Is it possible (and necessary) to secure a replacemnent back which will take my Graflex roll holder? Any help would be appreciated.

Les' suggestions were good, but getting an Adapt-a-Roll 620 may cost less. 2x3 ones show up on eBay from time to time, typically go for under $50.
steverose108

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently mounted a 23 rollback on a (23) Speed which had only the spring back, by cutting and bending 2" long, L-profile tabs from the rolled top edge of a an old steel square christmas cookie tin I found in an alley by my house where I scrounge parts for projects(no kidding- it's kinda of a dump behind some stores). Rounded the edges; drilled one hole in the center, sprayed em grey, they look like 1939-49 era parts and very original as I got some of the rolled metal in there, kinda Deco looking. Carefully bent them in my 1940's era Craftsman bench vise..they hold the 23 shell on with clearance to take the film insert off and on. Fit it so the cover closes without strain. I think many people with reasonable skills could do this in an evening, I did it in an hour but I do this kinda stuff a lot. Burns me up that people charge like $70 for some kit like this, I heard. This looks and works like it came from the factory, total cost about nothing, but careful cause rusty old sheetmetal is dangerous, I already went to the ER once last year from a stupid accident around motors. Bottom line, don't get in a hurry and watch your fingers. Best, S
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I already went to the ER once last year from a stupid accident around motors. Bottom line, don't get in a hurry and watch your fingers. Best, S

So, THAT's why they call you Stub!

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the brochure photos of the Aux springs that were made to attach the roll backs to the Spring back! Just shipped my only set to another helpboard friend--but have a drawing of the springs--shouldnt be hard to fab a set! Email me if you want the info! Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: