Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tested my Graflex flash...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yes, after waiting two weeks, I received my flash intact after giving in and buying one whole rather than try and put one together from parts. None of my cameras are working yet, so I used it to set off a sacraficial bulb while plugged into the solenoid and sure enough... it fired! I still smell the bulb in the air; I've never used a flash device where you can feel the heat on your face. I gotta admit, it's pretty cool. A question: anyone know what kind of bulb was used in the focusing lamp?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
vic valis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a followup to my question, since I left out some details: the flash appears to be a 4-cell (because I'm a MANLY man!) although the 4-cell holder may be a repro or third-party product (no Graflex markings on the bottom). As a result, when a I pulled an old flashlight bulb out of my parts bin, it worked for a few seconds an then burned out. The manual says that when using the 4- or 5-cell extensions, you should modify the solenoid (instructions are in the manual, no problem there) and use the appropriate bulb. No info on what the appropriate bulb. Anyone know if flashlight bulbs come in different strengths, or are they all standard?

jeff

It said "good-bye."
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definately are made for different voltages. You'll probably have to go to an old hardware store to find them. For 4 cells, I think you need bulbs for 6 volt systems.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alecj is correct, 4 1.5V batteries in series=6V. Any of those neighborhood hardware stores up there in the city should have the push in type but you may have to go to Radio Shack for the screw in type.
Charles

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible source for the screw-base 6V bulbs is your local Sears Hardware Store. These bulbs also fit into large industrial type lanterns (as used on railroads, for example) that take the big square 6V lantern battery. Any hardware store might have the bulbs, but be sure you don't get stuck with the flashing-type 6V screw-base by mistake.
worldphoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm just wondering if you plan any testing with the 4-cell batteries, solenoid, flashbulbs, and lens? If so, I for one would like to read about your results on this forum. Such as, what speed you're shooting at and still getting a full flashed image, perhaps 4-cells are too much, size flashbulb used, etc. I have made dummy batteries using hollow drill bits that use a 1/4" center bit. Drill several pieces and glue them together with a 1/4" bolt thru the middle. Of course you would use the waste wood portion of the hole. That way you can use 2, 3, or 4 batteries with different size flashbulbs.
Harry
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
There are NO Sears Hardware stores in California. Sears bought Orchard Supply Hardware in 1996 and converted the Sears Hardware stores to our layout.(they needed a marketing system that worked). I'll have to go over to the electrical dept. to see if we have the screw base bulb as I can't remember seeing it there.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-02-24 20:28 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dummy battery idea is one I was fooling around with, contemplating. At this point, I do not have a working Speed Graphic to try it all out with. I do have a solenoid on a board with a lens, but they are mismatched and not adjusted (my laziness handicaps my ambition). Ah, the mention of the Sears hardware Department sent a chill down my spine after having worked there for some 8 years... longest summer job I ever had. I had boasteD (in jest, I thought at the time)that the company would not survive without me after I quit. A month after I quit, my old store went under! Some years later they tore it down and I literally danced on the grave of my former employers! The American Dream! Of course, if I'd waited one more month I'd have gotten unemployment, bit so it goes. Anyhow; yes at some point I will post my results.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
MR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four- and five-cell extensions do not have the Graflex stamp on the bottom, so your probably is the real McCoy. Look into buying a 2-cell extension to cut down on the weight. The Jedi guys sell 'em off because they serve no purpose in that universe. A 2-cell still has plenty of oomph.

[ This Message was edited by: MR on 2003-03-04 08:48 ]
vic valis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I dig the 4-cell now so much that I'm going to stick with it. The flash will be dedicated to just one camera, so I can make the adjustments to the solenoid no problem. I won't be swapping lenses when I'm using the flashes, or at least I don't plan on it.

jeff

It said "good-bye."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: