Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Crown Graphics: age of camera and repair question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelseanzac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the graflex.org site for a few months to get information about two Crown Graphics that I bought on ebay. The forum is great and a lot of my questions were answered by reading through the forum. I sold off most of my 35mm equipment because I was bored. I wanted to be challenged again, be in the moment when trying to get the shot. Think a little about what I was doing.
The Crowns are great! I have shot both of them many times since I got them. I shot some chromes in Philadelphia a few weeks ago and they turned out great. The b&w negs are awesome. I have just been making contact prints because I need to get a 4x5 enlarger.
It is great to know that there are others out there doing the same thing and sharing there experiences and knowledge. Thanks.
On to my questions. First, I was wondering about the age of my Crowns? The camera numbers are 951822 and 962112. Any information would be greatly apreciated. Second, Both cameras have some oxidation on the magnesium backs. I guess they got damp at sometime while in storage. Any suggestions for a paint to refinish the oxidized area? Thanks so much for any suggestions that you may have.

Sean Taylor
Silver Spring, Maryland

Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check here
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-models.html
and click on the manufactureing code and the lens code (if you've got an Ektar) for some help.

There's a lurker around that gives dates but the date code is more accurate as it was stamped during assembly while serial dates were made before (up to two years) manufacture.
kelseanzac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,
Thanks for the information. The lens on one camera is a Kodak Ekatar and dates to 1948. The other camera dates somewhere between 1947-1955 according to the model descriptions. It has a Graphex Optar so I couldn't pin down the date any closer with the information on the link you suggested. The warranty card that came with the camera has C-93 checked. Any additional information would be great but I am satisfied with 47-55. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Sean
Silver Spring, MD
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean:

With reference to your question about refinishing the magnesium back, I just got through cleaning up two user grade Crowns. One of them was quite nasty, and called for drastic action. I cleaned off the corrosion with emery paper, and carefully removed the dust. I repainted the entire back frame with Krylon semi-flat black after masking the light traps. Depending on how bad your camera is you may want to remove the back to do this (easy to do), and to check for corrosion under the frame. The results were a vast improvement, but will never pass as a new camera.

The other camera was in MUCH better shape, and only had light traces of corrosion. These were carefully cleaned up with emery paper, and painted by brush with Kodak brushing lacquer. Any flat black paint should do. In any event, do not ignore the corrosion or it will only get worse.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll to the bottom of the Speed Graphic Help page; click on page 6; scroll down to the middle of the page or just click the following. http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=608&forum=1&19.
CHarles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2003-02-08 00:15 ]
Gandolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specifically listed but falls between batches made in '62

Falls in the same hole. check the date code.

Do these have a side range finder?

[ This Message was edited by: Gandolf on 2003-02-08 18:28 ]
kelseanzac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to disemjg and Charles for the information on refinishing the corrosion on the two cameras that I recently purchased. I can't wait for the weather to break here in Maryland so that I can get these backs painted. Thanks.

Gandolf, in response to your question, both Crowns have side finders. The insides of the cameras are finished differently though, if that means anything. Both have a flat black finish, but one is smooth and one is rough. Thanks.

Sean
Silver Spring, MD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: