Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which shutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idrive495

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yet to take any photographs with my "new" speed graphic but have 1 question. If the handheld meter reading can be applied by using either the rear focal plane shutter, or the front shutter on the lens, which would you use assuming both are accurate? Is there a general preference?
Thanks
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a simplistic answer, but having a focal plane shutter in operating condition, to me, is a blessing not to be toyed with. Since they may be fragile at best on a 50-year-old camera, I prefer not to press my luck. I prefer the front shutter since it is easily replaced with one of my spares if I have a problem. And, I exercise the FP occasionally just for funsies. After all, the 1/1000th capability of the FP is great for freezing the froth on a waterfall. Fred.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-12-30 14:24 ]
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-30 14:03, idrive495 wrote:
Have yet to take any photographs with my "new" speed graphic but have 1 question. If the handheld meter reading can be applied by using either the rear focal plane shutter, or the front shutter on the lens, which would you use assuming both are accurate? Is there a general preference?
Thanks
Les just recently mailed me an explanation of why the Mini Speed Graphic isn't the best user. In it he made the point that Pacemaker Speeds' FP shutter material will stay flexible a good long while and that older models' FP material won't.

That said, if you need a fast shutter speed (1/1000, possibly 1/500), you have no choice but to use the focal plane shutter. If you have a Pacemaker Speed and want a speed slower than 1/30, you have no choice but to use the leaf shutter.

If Les doesn't jump in and correct my errors and you want certainty, send Fred Lustig a letter giving full particulars and asking his advice.

Cheers,

Dan
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutters in Pre-Ann and before were made of natural rubber and it's rare that these work at all as rubber has a tendency to become brittle and take a set, most of the time, wound around the spool.

In a worse case scenario, the set is so bad the shutter won't move. In lesser cases, like that found in Anniversaries, the rubber will crack slightly when forced through the aperture of the rear of the camera . This is why you'll see Anny Speed shutters that have 'wrinkles' in them. These become hinge points for the shutter and when worn, become pin holes.

Also during this aging process the some of the rubber gets brittle engough to let go of the fabric backing. Shoving an old shutter through the slot tends to shake a lot minute rubber particles loose, which is usually attracted to a negatively charge polyester sheet found near the shutter. We call it film.

Pacemakers don't usually show this tendancy as much as Anniversaries and older Graflexes, but I still say a quarterly vacuuming of the focal plane shutter will help the dust problem. You should be doing the bellows anyway.

45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other aspect of "Which Shutter".
A leaf shutter opens from the center and expands until all blades have reached the outer edge then return to the center in the time it is set to exposing the entire sheet of film at once.
A focal plane shutter runs a small window of light across the length of the film so that an equal window width of film is exposed for the set time and continues to do so until the entire sheet of film is exposed.

When I tested a Top RF Speed that I repaired the shutter on I set a 135 Optar to 1/100 and exposed a sheet of polaroid #52, then set the fp to 1/125 and made a second shot, both hand held. Close inspection showed NO DIFFERENCE, but the fp exposure was more like shooting a leaf at 1/25.
Charles

clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want speed other than the FP shutter on my baby Speed, I use my Kodak Synchro-Rapid 800 shutter. I get the impression this shutter is much maligned, but mine works like a charm and the Ektar Lens is excellent. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: