Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graphic... Graflok... which???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manray43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 4x5 anniversary speed graphic. im thinking, at present, of getting a role film holder for 6x7 format. i have two backs for this camera, a graphic/spring back which is on the camera now, and what im guessing, is a Graflok back. the reason im not sure is, every picture of the Graflok back iv seen has lobes and a slot with springs like the graphic back, and the Graflok i have doesent. any help in clearing up this mystery would be apreciated.

also, is changeing a back a major operation (repare shop?), or pretty much a cut n' dry, remove and replace screws kind of thing? thanks again.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a third back, called the (dreaded) Graflex back. Early versions had one slide lock on top and a metal rail on the bottom. Later versions had two slide locks like the Graflok.

The Graflok allowed the ground glass to stay with the camera when a film holder was inserted, infact that's what held the holder in place. Grafloks have two hooks, top and bottom in the center of the back to hold the ground glass assembly in place.

Graflex backs do not and they also must have the ground glass removed in order to put the film holder (slightly larger size with a goove) in place.

If indeed you have a Graflex back, I think it would be easier to by a Calumet C2 roll holder and use it with the spring back. This way you can still ground glass focus without using a screwdriver.

BTW changing the back of the camera is as easy as removing 4-6 screws.
manray43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey les...thanks for the info...guess for the time being, ill stick with the set-up iv been useing...theres no rush...maybe ill luck into a Graflok back somewhere down the road. now, at least ill know what to look for...thanks again.
chrisD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than start a new topic on the same subject, let me re ask the question. I gave my daughter a Pacemaker mfg in the '50s. It only has a ground glass back. It looks like a Graflok(sp?)but without the ground glass it may be a grafic(sp?)On the outside it has the little clips to hold the darkslide, like the graphlok. It has black springs that hold it to the body and it is removable by depressing two small levers/buttons/(not sure of correct nomeclature) on either side.
She wanted me to try and get a ground glass for it... will she have to remove it before inserting the film holder??
What do they cost???

Thanks for your help
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, go here:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

If that is what you have, a Graflok back, then ask your questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: