Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to keep track of/label individual sheets of film?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious: how do people keep track of individual sheets of film so they can match up a film with subject/exposure notes from the time they took it? With roll film, it's pretty easy: keep a notebook, note date, subject, exposure, and exposure number on the roll. With sheet film, of course, I can label the holders, but then I develop several sheets, take them out of the tank, and say, Gosh, I wonder which was 1/4 second at f15 and which was 1 second? And is this building in Bute, MT or Fosil, OR?

Other than developing one sheet at a time, what do folks do?

- p
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply keep detailed notes of the subjects and the exposures. It's pretty obvious which is the lighter and darker exposures. If you want to be really sure...number the holders to correspond to your notes and carefully load the film from the holders in numerical order into your sheet film tank. 1/4-second at f15? Hmmmm. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a roll of twinchecks at a funeral (auction) of a prolab. Twinchecks are two stickers with the same number. since I write my data on the film holder with grease pencil I can put one check on the holder one check on the corner of the film.

Another way is to cut corners. literally. Set you film up in order, then cut a different corner for each sheet 1-4. If you've got more than 4 sheets then you have to use the binary system where 3 would be the number 1 corner and the number 2 corner cut. This would get you up to 17 sheets.

I've seen old holders with tiny holes drilled in the film rail (that thing that holds the film in place) You can invent your own numbering system so you don't have to drill 42 holes for side number 42.

While Riteway will deny it, at one time they had celuloid tabs with numbers on them that went into those recesses on the film flap

Herbert Keppler suggested you take an old dark slide and replace the slide with a thin sheet of plastic or heavy acetate the width of the handle but just long enough, so that it protrudes about 1/4" past the light trap and onto the film.

Now with the help of a thin Sharpie, Bestine and a rag you have a modern equivalent of an Autographic Speed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: