Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excited!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the57man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading through several messages having to do with view cameras like mine, Graphic View, and want to know more and more about mine. It has a symmar-s 5.6/210 lense with it and a Kodak ektar f:7.7 203mm eo 454. On this same lense, it says 36 f 6 tiffen adapter ring series 6 usa. Are these decent lenses and what kind of pictures should I expect to get. I know thats subjective to the subject and the person taking the pictures, but you know what I mean. Where can I get a book that really explanes the operation and basics of this camera. I have done a lot of 35mm and feel this is an exciting step into a whole new feild of photography.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ektar was a very nice lens, not quite top of the line but close in the 40s, yours is from '47 and might have been original to the camera.

The symmar-S filled the same niche in the 70s. I used a 180 version as my prime lens for a good ten years in my business. (then people stopped wanting 4x5)

given the assumption that both lens are in equally great condition (nobody cleaned one with steel wool) I would expect the Symmar to be certainly brighter, and a bit more contrasty than the Ektar, which might conculde one to think it was sharper.

The difference in the focal length is negliable. My advice is to keep both, shoot both for a while so you know what the ektar can do, but then get something around either a 90 or a 120mm. When you finally tire of the Graphic View and want to move up to something more modern, sell the camera with the Ektar and keep the other glass for the new camera.

To get a new lens that fills the same position (not quite top of the line) you'll have to spend somewhere around $700
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: