Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusing Platform on the Ciro-Flex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just acquired a Ciro-Flex with almost mint glass. No marks, scratches or fungus! Unfortunately, the shutter did not work, and the focusing "platform" (the assembly that moves in and out to focus both lenses when you turn the knob) seems 'frozen' in place at infinity. I repaired the shutter easily (the spring which operates the shutter had slipped from it's restraining pin, and the shutter was 'stuck' open from lack of spring compression). The focus problem has me stumped. My Graflex 22, which works perfectly (but, alas, has minor cleaning marks on its lenses!)is loaded with film at the moment, so I cannot open it to inspect the cam-driven focusing mechanism. It seems to me that the cam engages a stud in what looks to be a thick plunger that pushes the platform in and out. I push the plunger but the platform does not budge at all! It is so frozen in place that turning the cam only loosens the cap screw that holds the focusing knob. Any ideas? How can this platform freeze? I do not see any evidence of rust on this body, at all... I would really appreciate some advice.
ragc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it! Either the camera had been dropped, causing the plunger to twist and jam, or the old lubricants had solidified. It was hard to remove the plunger from the sleeve after dissasembling the camera, but once it was out it went back in with no friction. I turned it a bit more on a lathe, to make sure it will never bind again. Had to replace the little knob on the plunger with a machined brass knob, as it was already weakened from years of attempts to operate the focus knob, and it broke. The camera is in perfect working order now.

[ This Message was edited by: ragc on 2002-09-19 04:12 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> CiroFlex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: