Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5x7 Home Portrait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Knize

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a working photographer, new to this forum, interested in a home portrait camera that's usable, or restorable. I've come across a 5x7 Home Portrait, in horrible conditon, with all of its parts. Can these be put back into working order? The rear curtain is shot. Can it be restored? I'm looking for a camera to use for portrait work with my 250mm Rodenstock Imagon. Any suggestions?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing special about a Home Portrait Graflex, except they are very rarely found anymore! Just so happens to be one on Ebay this week, in rough shape however!
Item #1380647946! The one feature on the Home Portrait was the view camera style lensboard tilt feature, but would suggest that a Revolving back 4x5 Auto Graflex might serve your purpose as well, long bellows/drop bed >>3 3/4" sq<< interchangable lensbd, 1 to 1 copy capability! Bert
Karl Knize

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bert! I had a conversation with Fred Lustig last night, a very nice and knowledgeable man, and it would seem
I'm at an end in terms of a Graflex solution for my needs, unless I were to do some extensive modifications to a Super D. I've actually used a Super D, but don't feel that the standard focal length is a true portrait length for 4x5. And of course, it's not a meniscus style lens like the Imagon. As I'm sure you're aware of, the Imagon is a bear to work with at F7.7 on my Deardorff, but the results are terrific.
I know almost nothing about Graflex cameras in total, and didn't know until last night that all of the models like the Super D and Home portrait incorporate an auto diaphram lens design, not just some of them. All I'm looking for, basically, is the opportunity to focus and preview through a mirror to work more quickly and accurately. In all honesty, I think this is going to lead me to a TLR design, either something from Peter Gowland or something I make up custom. The Gowlandflex is perfect for my needs, but will require a secon Imagon, perhaps in barrel if the lens board is a squeeze due to the Copal #3, or perhaps not at all if the lenses are simply too big. If you're the kind of technician who could modify and existing camera, or help me design one from scratch, of know of one, please let me know! Fred Lustig seems to be pretty busy right now.

My regards,
Karl Knize (Nize)
Chicago
Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know almost nothing about Graflex cameras in total, and didn't know until last night that all of the models like the Super D and Home portrait incorporate an auto diaphram lens design, not just some of them.

THEY DON"T. Only the Super D incorporates a semi auto diaphragm. Bert's right an RB Auto is your best bet. It has a l o n g bellows and a large front lensboard to handle the size of an Imagon. You might want to look at other portrait lenses like the Cooke 10"-18' , the Unar 10"-19"and the 12" wollensak

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Only< the Super D used the semi-auto lenses as standard, but can also use a variety of lenses on the removable lensboard, >>BUT, it has no lens standard movements!<< The alternate cameras you mentioned, are nice cameras, but in my opinion, a TLR is no match for a Graflex SLR, the mirror focusing is truly a marvel to use! Any format camera has it's drawbacks, have never used a camera that had all the features I wanted, so if you want the perfect camera, you will have to build your own, or modify one!
There are a many ways to modify to suit your purposes, email me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
and lets kick some ideas around! Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: