Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions solicited.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkatez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to put together by mini-field camera for mountain and hiking trips.

Here's my problem: I have a mint++ 2x3 Crown Graphic and a 2x3 Century Graphic in Ex- condition. I plan to "strip" one of them by removing the rangefinder, strap, etc. in order to transform it into a small field camera.

I will use the finished camera with a 65mm Angulon, 80mm Xenotar and a 135mm Xenar. Focus will be by ground glass or pre-determined scale focusing for use with an wide angle optical finder. I have two late model RH10 6x7 backs for the kit.

My instinct says preserve the beautiful Crown specimen and strip the Century. A friend and fellow Graflex guy says NO, the Crown will be much better for my purpose.
Would either camera be better for the conversion? If so, why?

Your learned comments are requested and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you ask for OPINIONS....

the Crown is made of wood and leather. the Century is made of plastic. both have the same limit on short lenses, about the same limit on long lenses. So they are a toss up. the wood may not perform the best in very humid conditions and the plastic may get very brittle in very cold temps, but these are extremes. II'm guessing the Century would be lighter than the Crown.

But must you strip a camera in excellent condition?

Try backpacking with it before stripping. You aren't going to lose a lot of weight.

If you keep searching on ebay you can find one already stripped, and they go cheap. Look closely and you can find Centuries and 2x3 Crowns without the rangefinder (these were an extra cost option), and the Century was the "entry level" Graphic. They go cheap too because every body thinks you HAvE to have a rangefinder.

Then you can sell your EX plus and put the extra money into better hiking boots or more film
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weighed a century and Crown, they weigh the same on my scale, similary equipped. Crowns equiped with a Graflok back generally come with better lens, and bring more. You will gain about 3 oz by removing the rangefinder. The last thing I would do without is the strap, which weighs about 1 oz. With Graflok back, rollflilm back,rangefinder, optical finder, and strap you are looking at 3 lb. 8oz. If it was me I would go fully equipped. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: