Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself / anyone here from B'ham, AL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm very happy to have found this website and forum. It has thus far proved invaluable for info. regarding my new Speed Graphic!

I just obtained an entire Pacemaker Speed Graphic kit from a friend's family member (gov't surplus!!). It has an Optar 162mm f4.5 lens which appears to be in pretty good condition. The shutter is a Graphex "full synchromatic" by Wollensak. The back is a metal-flip-up-ground-glass-on-hinges-that-you-stick-the-film-holder-under. (not sure what's it's really called )It came with 3 Riteway double sided film holders and two Graphic FilmPack adapters (I assume obsolete). The full flash handle/reflector/synch. cords came with it also. Pretty dang cool.

I'm currently trying to get up to speed on what the best way to start taking pictures is. It appears that the Polaroid adapter packs are pretty expensive - this would be the easiest way for instant feedback however. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know the procedure for inserting regular 4X5 film into the film holders, removing them after exposure and getting them developed. I'm sure I'll learn more after reading this website.

A couple of questions for you veterans:

1) What are you're recomendations for getting up and running with the kit I described above?

2) I wiped down the outside and inside of the lens with Zeiss lens wipes to remove dust and dirt. Could I have damaged the coatings? (I think these lenses are coated)

3) Is the book titled something like "The complete Guide to Graflex photography" worth buying? (about $75 used on various internet bookstores)

4) How do you lube/fix the slow shuttter speeds on the front shutter. Mine don't appear to work slower than 1/25th.

5) Is anyone here from B'ham, AL and willing to meet me somewhere for a "5 - minute intro. to Graflex photography"? I think I've figured out the operating principles other than the film use issue.

Thanks for the great webpage and any potential help you can give me,

-David
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get you running, I suggest you grab the Yellow Pages and look for professional labs. Ask around town about who can process B&W (or color if your budget can handle it) For the time being I suggest you let them handle the processing. It's not that difficult, but you need to learn the camera first.

Loading a film holder isnt' difficult. sheet film comes with notches in the upper right corner.

with the lights on pull the darkslide and you'll notice the end of the holder is hinged. Dust this out with either a camel hair brush or a can of dust off. Now go dark. Bathrooms at night are a good bet. A heavy blanket over the window with the shade pulled keeps out that lone street light.

Film boxes are double, so you'll open the top, turn it over and open it again to get to the film. Tear of the end of the envelope and you'll find the film.. The notches go inthe upper right corner.

If your right handed (like me) I hold the film with the right and use the index and middle finger of the left hand on top of the holder on those rails on either side. the film has to go under those too rails. Once that's done, close the darkslide filp the holder and do it again.

I'm not familiar with "The complete Guide to Graflex Photography" neither was abe.com. The first book I suggest you get is "Graphic Graflex Photography" the 9th or 10th edition would be the best. These ususally sell in the $20-$40 range on ebay.

The next is "The speed Graphic guide, Including Crown and Century" by Ken Tydings. This is a small paper back so don't pay a lot.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, David. Is Hoover close enough?

Contact me. Love to talk Graflex.

alecj@bellsouth.net
DavidD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les: Thanks for the reply. It doesn't look like the "Thanks" I posted earlier worked

Alec: Glad to find someone in the area. I'll be in touch!

-David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: