Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scratches on Kodak Ektar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kodak 101mm Ektar has some cleaning marks/scratches on the front lens, sn#ES10735. The lens doesn't appear to be color-coated. Is there any way to polish these scratches out...or does anyone offer this service? Thanks. Fred. Probably should have posted this query on Lens Help. Sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-08-24 06:53 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the ektar name and the date of '47 (ES) it most certainly was coated. Before you get into the dicey world of repolishing the lens, I suggest you find a good lens shade for it--one as looonng as you can get witout vignetting.

Then go make some test shots with it, shoot a brick wall in rakish direct sunlight where you have a lot of local contrast. Then look at the chromes/negs under a loupe or blow the neg up to 16x20 and print the center.

See what you've got first. Ken Hough has an Artar he got from B&H that looks like it was cleaned with steel wool. with a shade, it makes a great copy lens.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Les. I'll do just that. I think steel wool was the lens cloth of choice for the previous owner of this Ektar. I have a lens hood on the way, and I'll fabricate the longest extension possible, short of vignetting. and give it a try. Fred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: