Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

labeling film holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmaurice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have around 25 4 x 5 film holders. I usually try to keep an assortment of films in the frig, color and black & white.
Is there a tried and true system for labeling the holders? I would just need to have the film name on the particular holder. Do holder users just number the holders and then carry a sheet of paper with the info? Please help me simplify!!!!
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, when we used to shoot a variety of black and white film, we would paint color dots on the holders with model airplane paint: red for Tri-X....white for SuperXX...blue for Plus X...and yellow for Panatomic X. We soon memorized the color code and always knew what was loaded in the holders. Fred.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one tried and true system. It depends on your situation. Fred either must have had lots and alots of film holders or didn't shoot a lot of one type.

When I go out and shoot I usually have just one type of B&W and color neg. So the color negs will get a rubber band around them.

In the past I've tried putting a lable on, which is good since it can be removed and relabelled. Other things I've done is put all of one type in my plastic Fedelity holders and color in my Graphic Riteways.

Last but not least, I've been known to write ont he darkslide with greasepencil what it is. You won't be able to see it when it's exposed (you've flipped the darkslide) but at least you'll know.

alecj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a compelling need to know EXACTLY which negative is which while still in the holder, I wouldn't bother numbering. Why? You'll invariably use the low numbers first, [generating extra wear on them] and unless you shoot a lot of film, rarely get to the high numbers. Just using the holders w/o numbers should give random use of all of them. I learned this from experience!

cmaurice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to use the numbering system for my black & white holders, to keep info on a separate sheet for zone system developing.
I usually just bring 1 type of each film out with me, but it would be nice to bring print and slide film on a hike and use both.
Thsnks for the replies...
CharlesC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my holders in 1-qt ziploc bags - just the right size and can write on them with felt-tip Sharpie or apply masking tape. Also, helps reduce dust and moisture problems.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 50's, it was not unusual to have half a dozen holders loaded with the 4 black and white film types I mentioned above...that's only 24 holders..because each film type lent itself to specific applications...mostly based on the need for speed versus graininess...thus the color code system. Fred. P.S. I really like the zip-lock bag idea, thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2002-07-09 05:24 ]
dkt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use tons of holders and shoot mostly 2-3 films...we shoot everything in b&w and chrome...in general we shoot twice as much chrome than b&w on a shot...but what we usually do is to shoot the same exposure on each holder--this way you can run half the film, if it looks okay you can either then trash the rest or run it & save for extras...what I usually do--as the assistant & the guy who's gonna be loading & handling the film--is to label the holders with either sharpies or masking tape--one set is just TMX or whatever we're shooting for b&w, the other is E6....plain n simple....we just did a location shot of about 5 pieces of furniture in a historic structure--big sideboards etc.--we took about 50 holders with us...I was going to offload & load more, but the shots got tricky--we ended up labeling each holder with small Avery color dots/stickers...each color we coded on the polaroids as well for reference when we got back. I labeled the shots like 1N, 1+, 1- etc for first setup, Normal exposure....1st, half over etc....we rarely go more than normal and halves in exposures....when we got back we ran the film in small batches and wound up pulling it in bits & pieces by a third, and some a half stop....so, it is possible to do this...I think we had something like 60 sheets of E6 and 38 TMX....not bad for about 5-6 hours of shooting.....btw, I have been burned by experience on location with film holders---those little tabs at the top often move around, and you reach into a holder box or bag & remove a holder & the darkslide on the adjacent holder comes up & burns your previous shot....ugh....for serious stuff like this, I always take masking tape & tape the darkslides in place when I pack everything up....

but you should see our holders...it's like hieroglyphics almost with all the crap scribbled all over them and old tape & stickers....hope this helps...

KT
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just write in the white area at the top of each side what notes I need with pencil then erase when reseting. Too simple for some I guess.
charles

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where the part about the system developing from your needs.

I use the grease pencil on the darkslide too. It works very well--- when I'm at home.

I don't have to worry about a note book getting lost or the pen drying up.

but except for a marking/numbering system on the neg, none of these systems will work when you are out on the road and reloading holders multiple times.
At least with the neg number system your notes will be one of only 3 or 4 negs and that should be easy to sort out.
LelandRay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Brother P-Touch label making system to mark my holders. The labels are waterproof, smear proof, and they're easy to remove. I just stick the label on the film holder just above the image area, and I'm done. I've also used removable stick-on labels from Office Depot for adding exposure information with a Sharpie. And everyone carries a Sharpie, don't they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: