Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wlemann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a S.G.Under the rail in the body are two small curved black metal pieces with white edges. They seem to keep the rail up. One came out as I tried to either push the standard in or close the camera. I fished it out. Now the body rail falls down and I have to push down with a pen when I want to push the standard in to close the camera. I can live with this but is there anything else to do?

bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description of the loose item, does not describe anything that I am aware of in a Speed graphic, What is it that you have to push 'down' on, to close the camera??
The first thing that comes to mind, are the rails that the lens standard support yoke slides on, into the body, has missing or loose screws, which then mis-aligns the rails, preventing closure! Look for 2 screws in each of the short rails, see if they are loose, if they are loose or missing, replace or tighten...check for correct alignment, and shim if necessary, to re-align them! Be carefull not to puncture the bellows, the easiest way to help get the bellows out of the way, is to lower or remove the infinity stops, (and with the yoke retracted into the body)pull the lens standard off the end of the rails, again be carefull, as the lens standard will flop around, and apply un-natural stress to the bellows! Hope this helps, if it doesent, modify your description of the problem, and we will have another go at it!
Bert
wlemann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert, Thanks so much. No this is different than what you are describing. This is a Speed Graphic. The rails front and back are silver. Next to them, on the outside is Black piece which has a bunch of screws. The black pieces in the box, not on the bed have on top of them a piece of metal long and curved in the back which is black and white along its length. It sits on top of the black piece inside the body just under the standard bottom piece but at the two far edges. It is this piece which is off on one side. What it is, I do not know. It may have nothing to do with the back rail falling down or not. Walter
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy sounds like we need pictures. If you are capable, send us some pics. if you don't know how to put them on the site, send them to lnphoto@twmi.rr.com and I'll let the other see them.

Les
wlemann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do
i will probaqbly email some jpegs where you indicated and go from there.
walter
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos will certainly help, but it sounds as if these curved metal pieces have to be the previous owners >easy fixit< method of >shimming<...if the back of the >>rail<< (the black pieces with lots of screws)falls, the front of the rail will not be in line with the >>yoke<< (the silver pieces front and back) and you would have to push down, to align the yoke!! (Curved pieces of metal, and needle nosed pliers would make it easier to get along the side of the bellows to shim!!)Maybe??? Bert
extraparts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will someone please post pictures before my brain shorts out.

Neal
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA....why not go here http://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf and look up IPB number and description??

extraparts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody figured this out? My curiosity is killing me. I looked at one of mine and can’t find anything like that.

Neal
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far no pics in my email.

Les
wlemann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIGHT NOW SWWAMPED. WILL GET TO THE PIX. HOWEVER I THINK THE IDEA THAT THIS WAS A HOMEMADE FIX BY SOMEONE. THE METAL PIECES LOOK AT CHARDS FROM A MACHINED PIECE OF METAL BENT TO ACT LIKE A SPRING UNDER THE IN BODY RAIL.

MORE LATER
n427c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a bit late and possibly, no, probably, wrong but I think he MAY be talking about the pushrod for the range finder cam, or the piece that attaches to the right (from the front) side rail that actuates the push rod. Just something to think about. Has anyone seen pics yet? I came to this conclusion by looking at my Crown and that's the only thing I could see.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: