Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wollensak 101 4.5 Raptar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Stone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I recently bought a Busch Pressman C that has been modified with a Mamiya RB67 revolving back. It came with a Wollensak 101 f/4.5 coated Raptar that is in mint condition.

I know that some of the most important characteristics of a lens won't show up on a resolution chart, but I am curious as to how this lens fits in with the 101 Ektars and other lenses in this size. I have been unable to find any specific comments about this lens on any of the other websites. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-12 16:18, Arthur Stone wrote:
Greetings,

I recently bought a Busch Pressman C that has been modified with a Mamiya RB67 revolving back. It came with a Wollensak 101 f/4.5 coated Raptar that is in mint condition.

I know that some of the most important characteristics of a lens won't show up on a resolution chart, but I am curious as to how this lens fits in with the 101 Ektars and other lenses in this size. I have been unable to find any specific comments about this lens on any of the other websites. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Arthur, this question has come up within the last year. If you do a search I think you'll find the discussion. The general consensus, partially backed up by objective testing, is that the 101/4.5 Ektar is the best of its kind (~ 100 mm Tessar-type) and that the 105/3.7 Ektar (Heliar type) is better still. This isn't to say that yours isn't good or that you should replace it, just that Kodak seems to have done it a little better.

There's been more general discussion of Wollensak Tessar-type Raptars vs. Kodak's Tessar-type Ektars on Usenet. Richard Knoppow, whose views see extremely well-founded, insists that the 127 and 135 Raptars are not the greatest and must be stopped down to f/22 to get reasonable sharpness in the corners.

Raptar was Wollensak's generic name for "our pretty good lens," Ektar was Kodak's generic name for the same. Neither conveys any information about lens design. Unfair and confusing, eh?

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other factor: apart from lens quality, the Kodak lenses will probably be in Supermatic shutters. The Rapax/Graphex shutter is preferred by many as more reliable and user friendly.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-13 16:53, Henry wrote:
One other factor: apart from lens quality, the Kodak lenses will probably be in Supermatic shutters. The Rapax/Graphex shutter is preferred by many as more reliable and user friendly.
Henry, not to pick nits or anything but "probably" is exactly the right word. I have a 127/4.7 Ektar in Graphex (= Rapax). Not only that, the shutter's less than 100%, really should do something about it.

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dan---

Yeah, similar story, I've got a 135mm Optar in Graphex, given to me by a friend, and it's got problems too (shutter won't stay cocked). I've had it out on my desk for months intending to send it to Lustig. Maybe before Thanksgiving? 2002, that is. Problem is I don't really have a use for it on my Century, but I hate to see it go to waste....and it WAS a freebie!
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

Could I borrow that lens? I'm trying to illustrate an article and it would visually show that there are exceptions to every rule in the world of Graflex.

contact me off line.

LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: