Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 2773 Flash Handle Functions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a couple questions about the functions of the 2773 flash handle.

The small switch on the left side activates a light on the front. Because of its intensity and focus, I'm assuming this is a target light so that a photographer could aim the camera at night. Am I close? Did this switch also function as an on/off switch for the unit?

Also, the red button on the back. Is this a test button to determine if the unit is functioning properly? If so, was the way to test the unit to actually discharge a bulb? I suppose this would be better than wasting a film exposure.

Thanks for your help!
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you come up with the number 2773?

I thought you were describing an earlier battery tube [built-in light, etc.] until you used that number. AFAIK, the earlier battery tubes had a different part number.

Is this a tube that has a built-in clamp to attach it to a camera?
Shinji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for the confusion.

The flash I'm describing is definitely not the Graflite. I had the wrong part number.

This is an older flash with a single mounting clamp which also holds the top and bottom of the handle together. The band of the clamp has GRAFLEX stamped in it and the letters are painted in black. It has a single round red test button on the back up near where the bulb release levers stick out, and there is a glass lens on the front of the tube with a light inside. The handle holds 3 D-batteries.

There are identical ports on the right and left side near the top, as well as an additional port under the test button. An additional question is: were all three of these ports for sync cords, or did some serve another purpose? I have a cord which fits the two plugs on the sides, but it does not fit into the plug underneath the red test button.

My question about how the unit was tested, was actually more about how a photographer would have tested the flash in the field when these were new. If the photographer believed he/she needed to test the flash, would he/she have done so by discharging a spare bulb?

Thanks again for your help.
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so, Shinji, I thought that to be the case.

Now, to your real question - the test. There are adapters out there which plug into your flash reflector the same way as a flash bulb did. The adapter has a small bulb in it from a flashlight. THAT is what is used for the testing you asked about. Bulbs were once cheap, but not THAT cheap.

Sorry I don't have any numbers, or manufacturer names [mine has neither] but they are there if you'll look, especially at old camera shops or [even better] at camera flea markets. You also might try places like MidWest Photo. Good luck.

I don't have one of those flash units anymore, so someone else will have to address your questions about the plugs. I do remember the round plug on the flash tube was used with a special cord and went to the camera for sync with the shutter. Aren't the others marked in some way?

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-07-25 07:22 ]
Shinji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec,

Thank you for the information about the testing unit. That was very helpful.

About the ports, as I mentioned, there is one on either side of the flash, and then one under the test button once it is unscrewed. None have any markings.

I double checked, and the cords I have do fit in any of the three plugs. So, perhaps the plug under the test button was used to connect a sync cord to the camera, and the other plugs were used to connect other flash units such as the extension flashes in series to the main flash for different lighting requirements? Are the plugs interchangable?

I'm also wondering if perhaps there is an accessable copy of the owners manual for the unit. I have noticed there is one on-line for the Graflite unit, but not the Graflex. If there is, I'm sure it could answer all my questions.

Again, thank you for all your help!

speedgraflex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get replica bands from
http://www.romansempireproductions.com

they fit real graflexes nicely.
MR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with those flashes, here's how they work. The male bi-post ports on the sides of the flash are for connecting slaves or a solenoid. They have no power of their own. The port on the back covered by the hinged red button is the live one. If not using a solenoid to simultaneously fire a bulb and the shutter, a cord is attached from the bi-post on the shutter to the rear port (unscrew the button and move it out of the way) and fired by the shutter button.

The switch in the side is for the front lamp only (it does not turn the unit on/off) and is used essentially as a flashlight to focus in low-light conditions.

Hope this helps.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To MR
Welcome aboard and a hearty thank you for a very enlightening post. I will further add that all three ports on front-- the two bipost and the middle household do the same thing-- they are hot only when the red button in back is pushed. This means you don't have to scrounge to find that odd round port/bipost -- to solenoid cord. You can use a later type house hold to solenoid cord.

Also if your cord can fit either bipost up front, then it should fit the bipost under the red button. I found that these cords get hard over the years and it takes a mighty effort to get them on. Once I got mine on and don't take it off!

I will also add that the early flash we are talking about is simply called the Graflex Flash. While the later flash is called the Graflite and came in two model numbers 2773 and 2772. Hope that clears up the confusion.

I'll also add that later on, when Kalart came up with the foco spot they made a cord that fit where the lens and lamp is. This allowed the battery case to power the focospot on the Kalart rangefinder.

This was a big improvement, instead of a wimpy little flashlight, you ended up with the images of the filiment projected through the rangefinder. By focusing the camera the images coincided. Thus you could focus inthe dark!

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-12-11 18:14 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: