Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angelfire reducing size of web site. Download Now!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npowroz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to jump in at this point and extend an offer, but also ask a favour. I had been planning to bring up this topic in a little while, but the recent events and discussions in this thread have brought things to the fore a little quicker than I expected.

To begin -- the company I am with has built a rather interesting web-based technology for parts manuals and repair documentation. One of its primary features is the ability to present graphical information that ties to parts lists in an interactive fashion. For example, we have the ability to present a parts explosion diagram with hot links to the text portion of the parts list. Click the parts list, and up pops the graphic, zoomed and focused on the particular part. Click the part's picture in the graphic, and the parts list adjusts to show the details of the specific part.

All of this uses an ActiveX control to display the graphic. We can support many graphics formats, including non-traditional (for the Web) formats, such as TIFF, BMP, WMF/EMF, and so on. We also do this in a multi-lingual fashion, and support all flavours of Internet Explorer from 4.0 onwards (sorry, but we don't do Netscape). Our graphics facility provides full pan/zoom/scroll capabilities, including full support for the mouse wheel.

My intention was to create a collection of Graflex data for use by all and sundry, as something of a gift to the Graflex community. In my opinion, anything we can do to keep these cameras alive is a GOOD thing. I for one would hate to see these treasures being discarded simply for lack of documentation on how to repair them. I can offer free hosting for this service, and for additional materials, unless storage space gets really excessive.

Now for the favour -- in order to properly present the information, I will need high quality images. And by this I mean really high quality -- JPEG images don't cut it because of artifacts caused by the compression, and PDF files have typically been downsampled to resolutions in the area of 72 DPI. For line art illustrations, my preference is for 300 DPI black and white, as either a TIFF or BMP file (TIFF is best, because I can compress it for downloading). The high resolutions allow for better zooming, and for better quality printing.

In order to satisfy my needs, I started buying manuals from eBay, but the original ones go for more than I can afford, and the reprints are typically too low in quality. I can also see that Graflex itself caused a problem because of its use of photographs in many of its diagrams (whereas many manuals today use line drawings). However, a high-quality scan from an original manual may serve to overcome some of these problems. Failing that, mayhap a technical illustrator would be willing to redraw a few of the more critical drawings. The upshot of all of this maundering is to ask whether those of you who currently have original manuals would be willing to scan them and forward the results to me for inclusion in the final product.

My apologies for the long-winded post. If there is support for doing this, we may want to move this discussion off-line, or to another forum, in order to avoid cluttering things here -- I'll leave that to the moderators. As well, I will leave it up to the moderators to decide to gavel me out of order and nuke this post, if indeed I have overstepped anything (if so, I humbly apologize -- mea maxima culpa).

By the way, if you would like to see this in operation, to know that it really isn't a hoax, then you may visit one of our development sites as a demonstration. A warning -- if you are using Windows NT/2000/XP, then the first time you visit the site you will need to be logged on with administrative privileges. Our graphics control needs these privileges in order to install itself. This is not an issue on Windows 95/98/Me. As well, our control is packaged with our own security certificate, so you will probably see a warning from Internet Explorer about this. Feel free to ignore this -- the control does not make any attempt to do anything weird on any system -- it simply displays graphical images from web sites.

To see it in action, go to http://www.incad.com/icam. You will see parts manuals for large postal sorting systems. The Flat Sorting Machine (FSM) has some of the best graphics. Be warned -- this one is a development site, so some links (like those labelled "Graphical Overview") may be non-functional.

If the community thinks this would be a useful thing to do for Graflex cameras, then let's talk. If not, I'll just shut up and go away.

Cheers
Norm
klotz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks -- I'm happy to host anything that's legal and Graflex related. I have about 80GB of storage available.

Leigh.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm: I've tested my ability to scan at 300dpi, b&w, and in TIFF format. It all worked on two Graflex Manual pages. In case your idea flys, I will scan the rest of my 23+ pages with the above format. FYI, They took 8.75 megs (each!) when saved uncompressed. I will save them on my hard drive in the TIFF format until you need them.
Done!
Leigh: I will upload the rest of the Manual pages (about 25) to my new web site when I've completed the scans (jpeg format). Then, if you decide you want them, you're welcome to (anyone is)download them. This way I won't have to learn how to upload to Graflex.org!
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-07-08 12:48 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:42 ]
npowroz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 11:42, hmartin@tns.net wrote:
Norm: I've tested my ability to scan at 300dpi, b&w, and in TIFF format. It all worked on two Graflex Manual pages. In case your idea flys, I will scan the rest of my 23+ pages with the above format. FYI, They took 8.75 megs (each!) when saved uncompressed. I will save them on my hard drive in the TIFF format until you need them.
Done!

Yeah, uncompressed TIFF files are not small. However, for B&W files I use an incredible compressor that typically reduces these files by a factor of 100. As such, the download time becomes quite good, even for users on telephone lines. If you'd like to get rid of them, I can provide you with access to an FTP site.

For anyone volunteering to scan documents, please concentrate initially on parts explosion diagrams and the accompanying part lists. If you have original diagrams, these are much preferred. I have tried to scan the reprinted variations, but there is simply too much loss of detail. These reprints are already a generation away from the original -- scanning them simply adds one more generation of distortion. However, in some cases there may simply be no other choice.

As to subject matter, I see no reason to limit the scope, with the exception of saying "for equipment manufactured by Graflex or commonly found on Graflex cameras". So, for example, this would include things like the exploded diagram of a Grafmatic accompanied by its part list.

By the way, one of the rather nice features of our software is that it will automatically cross-reference all of the part numbers. As long as Graflex was consistent in using the correct part number in the different manuals, then we will automatically end up with a searchable cross-index. As such, everyone will be able to determine how to make intelligent substitutions for repair purposes.

Cheers
Norm
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complete 40-Page Manual, 'Graflex Service Instructions and Parts List Section 7 "45" Pacemaker Crown & Speed Graphic with Graphic Rangefinder' is now available for viewing or downloading at:
http://hmartin.mysitespace.com/
4-page Graflex B-C Cartridge Instructions is also available.
(07-19-02) My web site is back on line! MySiteSpace.com was sold and moved to North Carolina.
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-07-19 09:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-07-26 13:25 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:42 ]
npowroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-16 00:12, 45PSS wrote:
I have sent npowroz a pm with reguard to the tiff version of a reprint (high quality) of the "45" Pacemaker Speed Graphic manual that I have.
[snip]

And a response awaits.
N.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: