Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire, smoke, ash & salt damage!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mparrish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire, smoke, ash & salt damage!!!

I have several Graflex and other collectible cameras. I also have a few newer large format cameras and lenses.

I had a fire and there was considerable smoke and ash deposit.

Worse yet, the fire extinguisher left a strong salt residue on (and in) evrything. I understand that this substance is HIGHLY corrosive and can damage even non-metalic items.

Is there any way to completely remove the smell and salt residue from the bellows', wood and leather coverings?

Should I have my insurance company replace these? Should I try to have them cleaned?

Thanks To Anyone Who Can Help!!!,

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that depends on how good your insurance is

I would think a good dose of common sense, a dash of conservation knowledge and a lot of elbow grease would take of the ash and soot and clean up the salt. Now on to the smell.

One of the things that fire insurance contractors have in their truck is an ozonator or ozinator. These can also be rented from better rental supply houses. You don't want to hang around when these are on, but the idea is that you put it in the room that smells (along with the cameras) and go to a movie. When you come back the smell is gone from the sofa, the carpet and the cameras. At least that's what "America's Master Handyman" Glenn Haege says.
mparrish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a quick reply. Thank you Les!!

My only remaining concern is that this salt residue is said to cause permanent damage sometime in the future, mostly on metal parts. The claims adjuster told me she has even seen this residue damage plastics, rubber and leather. From what I can tell, this stuff is really bad.

Any ideas on this?

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-18 07:14, mparrish wrote:
What a quick reply. Thank you Les!!

My only remaining concern is that this salt residue is said to cause permanent damage sometime in the future, mostly on metal parts. The claims adjuster told me she has even seen this residue damage plastics, rubber and leather. From what I can tell, this stuff is really bad.

Any ideas on this?

An evil thought. If your gear is insured for full replacement value and you're not emotionally attached to it, why not just replace it? I mean, most of the equipment we use is in reasonably good supply used, and most of what isn't has available equivalents.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: