Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Kodak Porta lens (series vi)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David H.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I found three supplemental lens made by kodak labeled Portra Lens 1+, 2+, and 3+, they are designed as close-up lens.

The instructions say that when used with a camera that can do ground glass focusing, it makes possible wide-angle effects.

Has anyone used these in this way before???

Also, I have tried to estimate the adjusted focal length, by measuring the lens to film plane distance in inches (when focused @ infinity) and then converted them to mm's. Is this a viable way to estimate the focal lengths for each lens??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

David

By the way, I've put them on my 101mm Optar and they appear to widen the field of view but I don't know what they are doing to my resolution.

D.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually they are spreading the image out over a larger area, but since your film size stayed the same you are getting a close up view of the center of the 'wider area, so in effect these act to make the lens longer, not shorter. Hence the term portra.

And yes you do know what's happening to your resolution, and it ain't pretty. Well acutally its a nice effect for portraits.
WLeach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les hit it on the head. I've been using a Portra #1 and #2 for a while now. They do decrease the resolution, but in a pleasing way for taste. You can find information about them in the old Kodak field guides.
They also made a Telek series which I've also used with interesting results. Just make sure you've got enough bellows to use these babies though.
Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: