Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pros/cons of 4x5 camera with 120 roll back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnadeau

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a graphic type camera. can't decide on getting a 2 1/4x 3 1/4 camera like the century or crown or the like or go with a 4x5 camera and use a 120 roll back film unit. I will likely use it with 120 film but with my curiosity in photography will likely work with 4x5 someday. which is the better way to go? I really like those century graphics with the red bellows. but a nice crown graphic is very nice. I also really like the super graphic and super speed graphic but am reluctant due to the electrical portion of it. getting batteries may be a problem.
as you can tell, I have a delema.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 120/4x5 answer resides in your ability to process 4x5 or get it done near you. Process B&W 120 can be done with a shoe box full of equipment. 4x5 will take some more effort (and more money). if you want color, either negatives or transparencies. Then you'll be better off finding a lab, which is getting harder to do.

I've never been a fan of 120 on 4x5. I figure if your going to haul all that weight around you might as well get the big image.

I contend that Graphic cameras have hit their stable point in price. Buy the little crown or century, don't drop it or abuse it and you can sell it for what you paid for it.
Or do like most people on this list, buy both.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-01 06:02, jnadeau wrote:
I am looking for a graphic type camera. can't decide on getting a 2 1/4x 3 1/4 camera like the century or crown or the like or go with a 4x5 camera and use a 120 roll back film unit. I will likely use it with 120 film but with my curiosity in photography will likely work with 4x5 someday. which is the better way to go? I really like those century graphics with the red bellows. but a nice crown graphic is very nice. I also really like the super graphic and super speed graphic but am reluctant due to the electrical portion of it. getting batteries may be a problem.
as you can tell, I have a delema.
This is to second Les' suggestion. Get a 2x3 (any flavor, bellows color doesn't affect function) and see how you like to use it. If it does what you want, wonderful. If it doesn't and you think a 4x5 would suit you better, sell the 2x3 and get a 4x5. As long as you pay a reasonable amount (not too much, watch sales on the great auction site to get an idea of what they go for) for a 2x3 you should be able to get your money back by selling on the great auction site. The little ones are heavy enough, the big ones are heavier and no easier to handle.

Um, er, ah, have you ever had the opportunity to handle a Graphic? If you can find a camera flea market, go to it. You'll get a chance to heft a few, play with them, and get a better idea of what you can stand to work with. I suggest this because before I handled a lot of 6x7 and 2x3 system cameras, I really had no idea which I could stand to use. They all sounded nice, but Koni-Omegas mash my nose (I'm right-eyed), I find Graflex XLs uncomfortable, Pentax 67s are too too big, ... Until I set out to use a Graphic, I had no idea ground-glass viewing would please me so.

If you can't afford to make a bad mistake, make sure you buy low.

Cheers,

Dan
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. For what it's worth, I have a 2X3 Century and 2X3 Speed Graphic and love the capability of shooting 120 roll film OR 2X3 cut film. To me, it's pointless to buy a 4X5 to shoot 2X3. 2X3 cut film is still readily available, although I can only find Ilford ISO 400...but 120 is available in several speeds as well as color. It's nice to be able to shoot just a couple of shots with cut film...throw it into a tray of D-76 for a few minutes...and make an enlargement a few minutes later. The Century is great for the roll film adapter (I have a 6X9 and a 6X6cm) with its Graflok Back...whereas the Speed with its spring back is best used with cut film. Fred.
jnadeau

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about cameras like the super graphic, crown, etc with graflok backs. what is the problem encountered with using 120 film in a 4x5 camera? weight for me is a non issue. will be tripod mounted. just seems like this would be a very flexible system. also, seems like the 4x5 format cameras with graflok are easier and more affordable to get than the century. must be because the century is in higher demand.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One 'problem' not brought up yet is lenses. A 4x5 is hard pressed to fit a 65mm. While for roll film, an 80mm to 100mm is a standard lens. So you could get a 'normal' lens for roll film on a 4x5, but wide angle is a bit hard, although strictly for roll film use the image circle could be much less and you could buy less expensive lenses. But then they wouldn't work for 4x5. Although long lenses for roll film is easy because the film area is so much less. There are times I wish I could get a 600mm lens on my C330 (about that same as a 300mm, 10inch on a 4x5 using roll film).

So if you want to shoot wide angle on the roll film, a 2x3 would be a better choice. On my C330, the 55mm is used more than any other lens. Be hard to duplicate that with a 4x5 & roll film...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...a 4X5 with a standard 127mm lens means you're probably going to be backing WAY up to get the same coverage as you would with a Century with a 103mm lens, if you're shooting 120 film. Take a 4X5 print and throw a 2X3 mask on it to see what you'll get.(Actually, you'll get a full 2-1/4"X3-1/4" image with a 120 roll film adapter...2"X3" with cut film holders.) I bought my Century a while back and didn't find it to be any more expensive than a 4X5. But, then mine is all black. I guess the red bellows is more pricey. But, if you want 4X5 capability, you can find an occasional bargain on a 100mm lens for the 6X9 format. A mask for this format for your viewfinder would also come in handy for point and shoot if not using the ground glass. The ground glass, of course, would need the 120 film coverage outlined. Fred.
Norman72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use roll film on all my Graphic Cameras and use my 90mm on the 2 X 3. As has been
said getting 4 X 5 processed plus the cost
and availability of film brings Photography
to the point of VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY. Using
the roll film adapter plus the movements of
the camera make for a very good to excellent
result no one but an expert might (might)
find a flaw.

fastlenz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently aquired the 2x3 crown graphic with three roll film backs. 220, 120 8 exp., 120 12 exposure. My favorite, 120 8 exp. is ailing. The advance lever return spring, just a tiny thing, has broken. My questions are:
1. Can I acquire a spring and repair myself?
2. Can I find a repair shop that works on this equipment?
3. Should I purchace another working model and keep the old one for parts?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-12 07:32, fastlenz wrote:
I've recently aquired the 2x3 crown graphic with three roll film backs. 220, 120 8 exp., 120 12 exposure. My favorite, 120 8 exp. is ailing. The advance lever return spring, just a tiny thing, has broken. My questions are:
1. Can I acquire a spring and repair myself?
2. Can I find a repair shop that works on this equipment?
3. Should I purchace another working model and keep the old one for parts?
I haven't had quite your problem, but a number of years ago I bought an abortion of a Graflex/SubSea RH8 that had all the correct markings etc. for 6x9 but had damaged 6x7 gearing. Armato's, in New York City, made it right for me. Don't know if they still work on Graflex stuff, but they're worth a phone call.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: