Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Graphic Range Finder repair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwl7532

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Super Graphic Range Finder repair Reply with quote

My 1958 Super Graphics range finder isn't working. How can I repair it?
I have the correct cam and think it is properly installed but I see no change in the images I see through the finder eye piece. The red indicator on the camera's top is not seen at all. There must be some linkage that has failed.

• Accident free since 10/27/12 at 3:58 pm.
  • Cursing free since 10/27/12 at 3:59 pm.
  • ...it happened in Everett, WA USA

Last edited by rwl7532 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:53 pm; edited 7 times in total
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read these old posts.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6211&highlight=
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4653&highlight=

The free image hosting site went pay only. The associated images are no longer posted on line.

Now before you go taking things apart recheck the cam installation.
Reference: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_6.html
Correctly installed there should be the indicator actuator on top of the cam follower arm, the cam follower arm, the cam in the slot in the tube. It is easy to knock the indicator actuator out of position when installing a cam. See the picture on page 15 of the linked Guidebook. The cam follower arm is the small rectangular piece that is 45° to the housing.

If you cannot see a double image then the beamsplitter is bad or the moveable mirror out of position.

The last Super with this problem had a bent follower arm and the moveable mirror way out of position.
rwl7532

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply. The rangefinder follower arm is not called out in any diagram I see. So I don't know where to look.
I am sure that during shipping there was a blow to the package as the lens was loose when I opened the camera.

In the pictures of the eBay auction the red arrow was visible in the focusing scale - its absence is another indication that something occurred during shipping.

45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on page 15 of the linked Guide Book, right hand picture, person's finger on a cam, cam just starting to go under the cam follower arm, indicator actuator is on top of the cam follower arm and is the piece with the rounded end that is closest to the cam door at the left edge of the picture.

The cam follower will push up into the rangefinder housing easily and allow the indicator actuator to go out of position. Both the follower arm and actuator are spring loaded but they can easily be put back into proper position without any disassembly.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.graflex.org/manuals/Super-Graphic-and-Super-Speed-Graphic.pdf
Manual page 41 figure 5 Rangefinder Complete
Index 15 - the indicator actuator arm, highly unlikely the attaching screw came loose.
Index 24 - the cam follower arm, operates the moveable mirror.

With the front of the camera facing you look into the small square window at the top right- Do you see a mirror/reflection?
Look at the window closest to the center of the camera top edge, do you see a mirror/reflection?
Turn the camera around and look at the window in the rear top, do you see a secondary image as well as the view in front of you?

Last edited by shutterfinger on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
rwl7532

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Repair manual for Super Graphic Reply with quote

I see a repair manual offered on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191075468848?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm thinking it is worth getting.
Any advice to the contrary?

45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The rangefinder is not covered except for removing/installing it and the parts identification in the IPB. Still worth having.
rwl7532

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies.

I downloaded the manual from this site. (which seems to be the same item offered on Ebay)
Page two of that manual shows the slide and the actuating bracket that couples to that slide.

When the front standard is racked out (as so many Ebay pictures show) the bracket escapes from the slide. Yet when racked back in, the bracket does not reconnect to the slide but refuses to hop over the front edge of the slide so the bracket can re-engage with the slide.

I have described how my slide and bracket are functioning. That doesn't seem normal at all.

I'm about to give up on repair as my eyesight is not good enough.

45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the actuator slide at the body bed junction then that is the main problem with the Super Graphic rangefinder. The slide becomes bent at the bed hinge from being stored with the bed closed. There is no known cure. The best that one can do is drop the bed then use a small screwdriver to pry up on the bottom side of the slide at the bend to restraighten it. It may work for a little while but will eventually bend and not slide in the guide on the bed as designed.

The actuating bracket in the diagram on page 2 shows the bracket to have 2 screws, the early bracket design has 1 screw. The 1 screw bracket is weak, will shift in the rails and bend easily at the actuator to bracket contact. I soldered a piece of .010 brass to the bracket from the rail out to the end of the actuator contact to reinforce it so that it would hold adjustment and operate the actuator as designed.

Does the distance indicator show up when you push the actuator in or is it still missing?
rwl7532

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Flickr album of relevant parts Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwl7532/sets/72157648811459483/

I think I have a good install of the cam. If it is good - my comment is why is no such photo is viewable of a correctly installed cam? If it is not good, what needs to change?

I now have the red arrow viewable... there needs to be an adjustment but that's for a later day.

When I view through the rangefinder it seems one mirror is tilted slightly downward. If it were not, I would have the converging images as it should be.

shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image 0786- indicator actuator aka Lever in fig 2 page 2 of the manual is on top of the cam follower aka arm in fig 2 page 2 of the manual.
Image 0787- correct cam installation, all levers , arms and cam in correct position.
Images 088 and 089- actuating bracket installed incorrectly. Actuating bracket should contact the leading edge of the slide. With rails fully retracted then run forward .040±.010 inch, push bracket against the lead edge of the slide until indicator indicates infinity. Slide the front standard up against the infinity stops, point the lens toward a target at least 5000 feet away and check the image for sharpness on the ground glass. The distance from fully retracted is so you can focus past infinity if desired and is not critical.
All that's important is that the indicator indicates infinity when the lens is at infinity.
rwl7532

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm definitely getting somewhere now.

If the actuating arm is not engaged into the slider's hole, how can the slider move? Does the slider propel itself and the arm restrains it?

If that is true then my slider is fouled up. That seems to be what I'm reading from your description.

Are there pictures showing correct installation of the arm?

shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slide moves from the spring tension in the rangefinder tube to the left of the cam. I do not know what purpose the hole in the slide is for or if there is one.

The arm appears to be installed correctly but can only be determined if the moveable mirror operates correctly. The double image adjustment is covered in paragraph F on page 3 if necessary.
rwl7532

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
It is working. Perhaps a bit of the proper lubricant will help propel the slider forward. It slides out a bit and then stops.

shutterfinger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps a bit of the proper lubricant will help propel the slider forward. It slides out a bit and then stops.

Typical operation. The balls and spacers in the tube work best when dry or with a trace of dry lubricant on them. I have disassembled tubes before, cleaned thoroughly, lubed with extra fine powdered graphite, and reassembled. Its a big job putting 52 balls and 52 spacers back in the tube alternating between the two as you go. The tube positioning affects operation. The biggest drag is the slide in the guide on the bed. I glued a small tab onto the edge of the slide so that it can be pulled out easier when close focusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: