Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curved frame border

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclened

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Curved frame border Reply with quote

Hi all,

I finally managed to buy some holders, load some film and take a test shot with my Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar. The subject got impatient (my son) and moved out of focus and I haven't got a scanner that scan 4x5's just yet, but I wanted to check the curved border on the right hand side and what may have caused it? I will be taking more test shots soon, but any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jim C.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things come to mind -

You said you don't have a scanner that does 4x5, and I'll assume you shot the
neg with a digicam and inverted, does the negative have that border ?

Are the dark slides of your holders square bottomed ?
you may not have pulled the dark slide out completely.

Are there any obstructions inside the camera, in the film holders ?

The curved border has a rough edge to it, almost looks like the cut edge of fabric to me.
I assume you're using the Aero with the focal plane shutter ( if your Speed has one ) since
they're usually barrel lenses unless custom mounted to a shutter.
Your focal plane shutter may not be operating properly or the shutter cloth is beginning to tear
and the shutter cloth openings are buckling in.

One other thing is that it looks like you used a flash, if you're using the focal plane shutter
sync, the contacts in the camera may be bent out of place or protruding too far out
and could be causing the shutter cloth's metal sync tab to buckle the cloth as it passes the interior sync contacts.

You can check the shutter cloth and the contacts by removing the entire back, 2 screws on top and 3 on the bottom.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripod mount the camera with aero ektar.
Set the FPS to O.
Point the camera to an evenly lit light colored wall.
Set the lens aperture to wide open.
Focus on the wall using the GG.
You should have an evenly lit GG, if yes then suspect film loading or something hanging just in front of the lens. If no then check the front standard and verify that it is not shifted, that the lens board is correctly seated in the front standard. Remove the lens and verify it is centered on the lens board, if not it needs to be remounted.
Lens mounting and front standard correct then remove the focus panel and inspect the inside of the camera for an obstruction in the light path from the lens.
Is there any bellows sag? Were you resting your hand against the bellows while holding/operating the shutter release/cable?

A Graflok back 2 screws top and 3 screws bottom , #2 self taping 1/2 inch long, + a screw in the center of the film holder insertion opening, #1 wood 3/8 inch long, if the graflok has not been removed or correctly reinstalled
Jim C.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
...+ a screw in the center of the film holder insertion opening, #1 wood 3/8 inch long, if the graflok has not been removed or correctly reinstalled

Forgot about that one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: