Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatible film holders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclened

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Compatible film holders Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've recently joined the Graflex club with a Pacemaker speed graphic. Unfortunately the film holders that came with it were of a really poor quality and I'm on a hunt for new holders. I've had a look at the usual auction site but can't really tell which kind are compatible. Any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the serial number of your camera, its on a plate riveted to the bed.
3 different backs were available for the Pacemaker and the Pacemaker was available in 3 format sizes.
Go to: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/graflex/backs.htm and review the information there.
unclened

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number is 940281

I've done some reading and am I right in assuming that most 4x5 holders will be compatible since most 4x5 view cameras are made with the Graflok or 'International' back?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial number 940281 was assigned 8/17/1959. The next block of serial numbers was assigned 10/26/1959. So your camera was made in 1959.

It probably has a Graflok back. Two sliders, one above the gate and the other below. If it has a Graflex back it will have one slider above the gate and none below. If it has a Graphic back, also called spring back, the focusing panel will be permanently attached to the back and there will be no sliders. Graflok and Graflex backs' focusing panels are removable.

Standard 4x5 sheet film holder, e.g., Fidelity or Lisco, fit Graflok and spring back, not Graflex backs.

Oh, and by the way, spring backs are probably more common on view cameras than Grafloks, also called international backs.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it has a Graflex back it will have one slider above the gate and none below.

Late production Graflex backs have sliders top and bottom (used on Super D from 1947 to end of production, maybe other models). Graflex sliders are parallel to the back, Graflok sliders are angled inward 45°.
Graflex backs have an accessory ground glass that fits in like a film holder, Graflok backs have a ground glass that locks in via spring loaded hooks. Confused yet?

The instruction manual for your camera is: www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html
You have to save or print each page, clicking on the small image in the left scroll bar displays it in the large frame.
unclened

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the helpful replies.

I'm certain it's a graflok back as it has too silver spring mechanisms (top and bottom of the glass. I can remove the viewing flaps (correct term?) and the ground glass housing entirely.

Question is, do I 'google' or search for Graflok backs or 4x5 film backs?
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out for backs offered on your camera: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack
wcarroll

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclened wrote:

Question is, do I 'google' or search for Graflok backs or 4x5 film backs?

Search for "4x5 riteway film holder" or "4x5 lisco film holder" or "4x5 fidelity film holder"
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old wooden holders can be repaired with wood glue and clamps. A water base wood glue allows easy cleanup and can be easily thinned, injected into cracks or seams without total disassembly, with an ink refill syringe. Bookbinders tape is reported best for the load door hinge.

Ebay UK search for film holder in cameras & photography :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography-/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=film+holders (search made at 7:50 pm UTC 0/11:50am PST)

Lots of choices.
unclened

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I found some really nice new looking fidelity elite holders from Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: