Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter release cable question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Shutter release cable question Reply with quote

I took my Mini Speed Graphic for it's first roll of film in my clumbsy hands today and I just actuated the shutters with my fingers. I can see that I need to use a shutter release cable and I just succesfully tested the cable that I have on the focal plane shutter. The barrel shutter doesn't have any fittings for a release cable, it's just a couple of levers protruding from the barrel and the ends of these levers are screwed together with a knurled screw. It's the Kodak Supermatic. Is there a part missing into which a shutter cable release would would attach? I've thought about just threading some dental floss through the shutter lever in order to isolate my hand trembles from the camera when using the in lens shutter. All thoughts will be appreciated. Speaking of appreciate, I really appreciate the skill of the press photographers who were using the Speed Graphic. Is the barrel shutter on "T" when using the focal plane? (and vice-versa) Did I insert a fresh film sheet, or is the one in the camera already exposed? Oh, sh**, did I just forget to remove the dark slide when I tried to capture the flag raising on Iwo?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_11.html
page 12.

Leaf shutter on T or locked open on B with a locking cable release when using the FPS.
FPS at O when using the Leaf shutter.
choiliefan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kodak Supermatic shutter on one of my lenses. It has a the standard fitting for a cable release BUT the fitting has a tapered screw cap which I presume is intended to protect it from the elements.

Perhaps you have a similar cap installed? If so, unscrew it and you are golden.
WilsonLaidlaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Replacement cable for Crown Century Graphic Reply with quote

Has anyone found a modern cable which works well with a Century Crown Graphic and fits well into the holder on top of the camera body? My original has gone very "graunchy". I am currently using a Nikon one, which does not fit very well into the holder on the top and keeps popping out, if I press the release at a slight angle. I would prefer a cable with a "T" lock, as my Prontor-SVS shutter does have B but no T or a shutter held open lock, for focusing with the ground glass screen.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the holder on top of the camera body?

Can you describe it or better yet link to a photo of it?
The factory service manual does not show such a device. The 1969 Graphic Cameras brochure shows an accessory handle with a cable release holder built in but no cable release holder on the camera top.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_7.html

I remember a posts years ago that mentioned a cable release holder that attached to the top of the camera but it was a 3rd party add on accessory.

Take your camera with you to a local camera store that sells a "locking cable release" and ask to try it on your camera before purchasing otherwise shop on line and ask for measurements of the release body.
WilsonLaidlaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are photos of the cable holder on the top of my Century Crown with and without the cable I am currently using. This is not actually a Nikon cable but about a 25 year old Leica cable. The cable which came with the camera and which fitted in the holder better, had a side screw lock for holding the shutter open rather than the collar of the cable in the photo attached. Sadly it had been badly bent at some time and was too graunchy to use. I would not mind fitting a different cable attachment to the camera, as long as I can use a cable release. I have very arthritic hands and find it difficult to reach round the front of the camera, to trigger the shutter directly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7999761/Graflex1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7999761/Graflex2.jpg
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cable release that dangles from the shutter, but I'm not all crippled up. Can you manage to use a dangling cable?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay UK search for " shutter release cable " in cameras and photo =
these possibilities:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mechanical-film-camera-cable-Shutter-release-lockable-slr-tlr-rangefinder-/251762916701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9e3d3d5d pricey!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditional-Mechanical-Cable-Shutter-Release-12-30cm-for-Film-Cameras-/141724904325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ff766b85 a possibility it will fit.

The holder is a 3rd party accessory. I have no clue as to who made it.
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That holder is on alot of baby's
It is a Power cord retainer for electronic
With the locking piece cut off
It may or may not have been a third party accessory
As there a threaded hole in the top of the century graphics bodies for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: