Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH-50 70mm film back
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be "convention". You won't be able to get a true 7cm frame out of 70mm film, and a 6.5cm x7 image would be painful when sent to the wedding lab. They would have to buy a special mask, charge you more, etc. etc.

I also think running the holder vertically would be mechanically problematic for everything but the Super Graphic.
MarinB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Graflex RH-50 back modification to 56x112mm (61x125mm?) Reply with quote

How difficult would it be to modify a RH-50 back to 6x12 format? I would think you just need to file the window to maximum possible width (about 12 cm - but how much exactly?). Is the film flatness compromised by the absence of two pin rollers or should they be repositioned? Has someone on the forum done this already?
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the pin rollers were added to the roll film holders because of a flatness problem, though when you space them 12+ centimeters apart, I think they are pretty much useless.

The bigger problem you'll have to overcome is the spacing. The gearing is still for 6x9, and Shooting frames 2, 4, 6... Might work, but you'd be waisting film (18+cm vs 12+cm).
MarinB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, are you 100% sure the gearing is for 6x9? RH-50 is a 6x7 format back. A fellow from the UK, Colin Turner (who hasn't yet responded to my messages) had such a modification done by a mechanics shop. His results can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57818412@N00/5430614132/
Though gaps between frames are irregular, the average looks less than 18 cm. He seems to be simply winding it twice.
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, th RH-50 is 6x7 and not 6x9. My bad.
MarinB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult would it be to re-gear or change the gearing in this back from 8cm to 12cm?
europanorama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Mount-versions-Restrictions or not Reply with quote

Les wrote:
I need to add a caveat to that. All of the colored lever handled roll backs can interchange shells and inserts providing the neg size is the same.

But the last version of the back, the ones that say Singer/Graflex and have either a thin chrome or thin black lever similar to a 35mm camera have a raised bump on the light trap of the insert that will not allow it to mate with an older RH shell of any size. That is of course until you file the bump down. The bump was designed to 'encourage' photographers to buy new holders rather than use the older ones.

I have this RH50:
Graflex General Precision with the 4pin-frame.
removed it is for 4x5
Its the version with yellow filmtransport lever labelled +g.
since its not chrome nor black mentioned above this bump("restrictor" which i name it) is not present. So i can add the 6x7-or 6x9 graflex insert. filmframe is 57x68mm.
I have an identical one in 4x5-version only(no 4pin-frame).
inside cartridge-chamber foam should be replaced.
I know the 4pin-version can be mounted onto RB67 without the rotating back. Does RB mean rotating/revolving back then? I also have the RB-70-back with vaccum.
Is there a site explaining all these mounts. Graflex, Graflex, RB. International 4x5.
europanorama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
The previous series of film holders, the original knob winds, and the RH series of 60-70s, could use different inserts, but only of the same format because the counter and the image size have to match.

The RH 70 was a different back entirely. The image frame was considered the ideal format as it prints to 8x10 without cropping. No other image size was considered. Modification by a machinist is always a possibility, but cost to re-design the counter and build gears, to achieve a 6x6 or 6x9 format would out weigh the cost of film you saved over just cropping the 6x7 image.

Yes the Ekc and Hassy inserts are interchangeable. I think you can use both perforated and non perforated film, but the RH-70 back does not have sprockets.

Not RH 70 but RH50(67-70mm)
What is Ekc and HGassy insert?
do you mean 70mm insert for RH50?
I do now understand that under certain circumstances inserts for RH8, 10 and 20 can be exchanged. But not into RH50. rails are wider apart there. 88.5 RH50 versus 73.5mm approx. for the RH 8, 10, 20. so inserts only exchangeable for the 120/220 backs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: