Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quickload/Readyload, what equipment do I need?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bforcade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not inclined to try loading and processing for color. I'm looking at the "easiest" way to get the film into the camera, then to the lab. Quickload or Readyload sounds pretty good.

Do I just buy the quickload or readyload film package, or do I need a holder of some type. Where can you get this equipment cheaply (haven't seem them on E-bay) Are there any particular problems to watch out for?

By the way, I have a Pacemaker Speed with Graflok back if that matters. Thanks for any assistance.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Fuji and Kodak make Quickload/Readyload holders, and you could buy either one. I don't remember how interchangable they are. But for the price of a new QL/RL holder, you could pick up a Polaroid 545i holder which works with both types of film, and Polaroid instant film as a plus. From what I'd heard, don't buy a "545", get the "545i". It's supposed to work better with the QL/RL films, but I wouldn't know from experience...
swaitjd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started using a Crown Graphic, and decided to go with the 545i holder and QL slide film when shooting color. It has worked very well, I'm glad to say, particularly since this was my first foray into LF. I have also been using Type 55 Polaroid film in the holder.

I recommend the setup unreservedly.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to admit that I've had very little incentive to shoot anything but Type 55. I can have a decent instant print if I want it, or a great negative. The TMax I've shot certainly doesn't have anything on the 55 negative and with a whole lot less work. Color is another whole problem though. Polaroid color doesn't even come close to exciting me and I never did find a lab, or an easy way, to send negatives to for devlopment... Maybe one of these days?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen inside a 545 and a 545i, I can't see why the new one would be better. The i just has more plastic and a better profit margin from what I can tell.
rsdean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently borrowed my Dad's Speed Graphic and have been learning how to use it. He was disappointed to learn that Kodak no longer made a film pack. I did find an ad in View Camera for the Fujifilm Quickloads which seem to be much the same thing. My question is whether they will fit in the Grafmatic film pack adaptor which I got with the camera. Has anyone tried this?

Rob Dean

Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay there are three distinct and different items here and none are interchangeable.
Pack film was roll film cut to large format sizes, it had a very thin base. It's gone. It's not coming back.
The next option is a Grafmatic back. This holds 6 sheets of normal 4x5 sheet film. These are useable, assuming you get one with septums (little film carriers) that aren't bent.
The third item is the quickload/ready load packets. These are sheets of film already in a light tight pouch. To keep them flat you need either a Kodak or Fuji ready load holder, or a Polaroid 545 holder.

One item that just came to mind is the Fuji Quick Change holder. This is a modern twist on the Grafmatic. It uses pre loaded (and thankfully reloadable) cassettes that hold the septums. Right now there's only one guy in the US that is carrying them. They are expensive (over $100).

rsdean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry about the confusion. I just got off the phone with Dad and mentioned that I posted this, at which he immediately said that I've got a Graphic film pack adapter, not a Grafmatic. I gather it still won't take the Fuji film packs...
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no but it will hold fuji film

or kodak
or agfa.

the cassettes with the new quick change use normal film, and I think they were on the order of $60 to $80 for one pre-load cassette of either 8 or 10 sheets. Once those are shot your are going to want to reload it and you are back to what you have now, accept that you still have the $112 for the quick change and the $60 for the cassette.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: