Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get flash to sync with optar 135mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrcvideo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Can't get flash to sync with optar 135mm Reply with quote

I'm having issues getting my graflex optar 135mm to sync with my strobes. I have a bipost to female PC cable connected to a male PC to pocket wizard 1/8th jack cable to my pocket wizards. Tested both cables and they are working fine. seems to me that there might be a problem with the bipost connections on the lens. Is there anyway I can test the posts/fix them? Or does this constitute buying a new lens? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which shutter do you have, the full sync Graphex or the Graphex X?
The full sync Graphex will have a selector next to the Bi post connector. That selector should be set to F-X.
To test connect a strobe directly to the shutter via a Bi post to whatever the strobe requires cable then operate the shutter, the strobe should fire.

The Bi post pins should be silver in color, if black clean them with metal polish.
mrcvideo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the full sync lens with the fx setting. I have it set to that and the biposts have been cleaned and are nice and silver. Still no luck
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem may lie with the internal contacts behind the bi-posts. Unfortunately, reaching them requires partial tear-down of the shutter. IIRC, there are two flat spring brass internal contacts back in there that must complete the circuit in order to fire the flash---but it's been a while since I opened mine up. Surely there is someone on the board (Dan? Charles?) who can advise you much better than I can.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are handy with fixing things this service manual, http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphexShutterService.pdf , will tell you what you need to know. To see a diagram of the internal contacts go to manual page 18, pdf page 20,
items 1, 2, and 3. Item 1 is a #0 or #00 x 1/16 long screw. Items 2 and 3 are thin copper and easily bent. Your shutter is a #2.
tom thomas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get to the internal contacts you will have to remove front and rear lens. The best tool I've found to remove them without damage is to visit your favorite ACE hardward with lens, go to the back where they have the nuts, bolts, washers, etc displayed and look for the black hard rubber bottle stoppers. They typically have a nice display of them in many sizes. Choose sizes that extend a bit over the diameter of the front and rear lens. Do make sure that they wont touch the glass lens itself to avoid putting rub marks on the lens surface.

Press and turn CCW and your lenses will screw right out in their mounts, exposing the shutter and internals.

Hope this helps a bit. Dont' be tempted to use vise grips or large pliers. It's a horrible way for a lens to die.
Tom
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, IIRC, you don't need to remove the rear lens element to access the synch contacts, which are in the front of the shutter, but it's a good idea anyway as it will prevent possible damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: