Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zeiss vs Kodak/Graphex 135mm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 4:33 pm    Post subject: Zeiss vs Kodak/Graphex 135mm Reply with quote

Any opionions on which one I should keep?

I have both of them..

Is the graphex the same as the kodak?
both optars 135mm/4.7

The Jena Zeiss is a 135mm/4.5

<font>[ This Message was edited by: klotz on 2001-05-10 16:27 ]</font>
________
Pot news

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly wha tyou have but I will assume you have an Optar in a Kodak Supermatic shutter, an Optar in a Graphex shutter and a Zeiss Jena in an unkown shutter. If this isn't true, then post again and we can figure this out.

If both are Optars then it will the the condition--coating scratches, etc that will determine which to keep. The Carl Zeiss Jena is probably uncoated and would be the lesser of the three lenses.

I seem to have better luck with Graphex shutters over Kodaks scattermatics, but I know others that are just adamant about Supermatic shutters.

If you have the capability I'd shoot a transparency with each lens at the most used apertures 8,11,16,22 and look at each under a loupe. The sharpest one wins. If you don't have access to transparency film, use black and White film, and look at the neg with a light box and loupe.
Fishhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to buy some transparency film would I be able to develope it like my black and white film??

or do I need something special for this?
________
Mazda B-Series picture

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
klotz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Film Forum to post on this topic.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Fishhead
I agree with Les about the superiority of the Graphex over the Kodak Supermatic shutter, and my only comment would be to see whether the lens elements would interchange between the two shutters. If so, this would enable you to put the best elements on the Graphex. In case you haven't done this before, the elements unscrew ccw (a rubber-pad jar lid remover works well). Don't force anything!
Fishhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zeiss lens is in an old compur shutter.

It is not a good shutter, old and worn out.

What are my chances of switching the lens elements on this one?

I don't think the Zeiss is coated... but then again I thought the graflex lenses had an L after the serial number if they are coated. Mine does not, but it looks coated.

Can I post a picture of the Graflex somewhere?
________
Toyota Succeed history

Last edited by Fishhead on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2001 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare to find a Zeiss Jena that's coated. Most likely this lens is pre WWII. After the war it was difficult to get Jena lenses here. (They were miffed that we bombed the factory into oblivion) All of these lenses are Tessar formulas, so I say dump the Jena on ebay, test the other two and use the best. The coated lenses will have less flare and a more accurate exposure since more light gets onto the film. (Transparency film uses E-6 chemistry like Ektachrome slides, if you don't already have access to it, it's too expensive to start. Test with B&W film)

Longbullet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-05-10 21:11, Les wrote:
It's rare to find a Zeiss Jena that's coated. Most likely this lens is pre WWII. After the war it was difficult to get Jena lenses here. (They were miffed that we bombed the factory into oblivion) All of these lenses are Tessar formulas, so I say dump the Jena on ebay, test the other two and use the best. The coated lenses will have less flare and a more accurate exposure since more light gets onto the film. (Transparency film uses E-6 chemistry like Ektachrome slides, if you don't already have access to it, it's too expensive to start. Test with B&W film)

The information you posted is generally very good... the Kodak Ektar and the Zeiss Tessar are both....Tessar formula lenses. The Graphic Optar is a Tessar formula with some changes to give the lens a tad bit more coverage for using the minimal front lateral shift and vertical rise.

The reasons lenses from that Zeiss Jena factory were hard to get after WW II..after the factory was rebuilt...was that it was in EAST GERMANY..and there were considerable import restrictions. There were also patent battles between the East German plant and western "Zeiss" companies. Jim
n3qmm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a speed graphic in great shape.
What lens would I need for landscape photo,s?
n3qmm.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-20 07:06, n3qmm wrote:
I have a speed graphic in great shape.
What lens would I need for landscape photo,s?
n3qmm.

It depends on which size camera you have (2x3, 3xr4, 4x5?) and on how you see landscapes. If you shoot landscapes on another format and know what focal length you prefer there, pick one for your Graphic with the same horizontal angle of view.

You've asked a very personal question that only you can answer for yourself.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: